Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Thanks again, I just got YDL to run full screen 720p

Like you said do the videomode 131 and then log out and log in and its full screen!!

I also would say, add into the guide when you type "yum update" be prepared to wait nearly an hour while it does its thing lol

One question about how linux works, how comes at the terminal if you type "yum install videolan-client" or "yum install scummvm" which both worked for me, how does Linux know what you are wanting to install and how does it find it?

One final question, how comes YDL is so slow? When clicking on Terminal or Firefox there is a delay before it opens much the same you get on an old/bogged down PC. I wouldnt of thought a fresh install of an OS would be this slow especially with the power of PS3 too.

Banned User
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal View Post
    Thanks again, I just got YDL to run full screen 720p
    Glad it worked out for ya!

Every linux distribution has its own cool program fetching command. For example, YDL uses "Yum". Any linux based on the Debian distribution uses "apt-get". Every distribution has its own library of programs. When you type "Yum install Sally", (for example ). YDL will check the repositories files present on the HDD. These are like online address references. They point YDL to its online distribution programs library. For PPC (PowerPC=PS3) YDL, that library isn't very big yet. Thats why "Yum" initially won't work.

So what we do is point YDL to Fedora Core's library instead, by adding additional repository references. This works out for YDL because it is based on Fedora Core. YDL then checks the list of Programs. When it finds "Sally", it will check Sally's dependencies. That is, what codecs, libs, drivers other files that Sally needs to work. And it downloads all of that, unpacks them and installs them.

Check out Fedora Core PPC program Library: http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/5/ppc/repodata/

YDL doesn't take full advantage of the PS3 for some reason. It needs more work from Sony and Terrasoft. I mean when I play a high quality WMV in mplayer for example, audio and video go out of sync and Mplayer's terminal says "Your system is too slow to run this file". LOL.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by utrx999 View Post

YDL doesn't take full advantage of the PS3 for some reason. It needs more work from Sony and Terrasoft. I mean when I play a high quality WMV in mplayer for example, audio and video go out of sync and Mplayer's terminal says "Your system is too slow to run this file". LOL.
    i was under the impression that the official (YDL) linux was crippled in this regard on purpose....it sits on top of the hypervisor that makes sure nothing gets into the lower level hardware....would love if this were wrong

seems bizarre that mpeg2 video is allowed (in the xmb) with bluray bandwidth, but not ac3 audio, hoping linux would be the solution

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    hi all,

i am doing step 5e) and i am getting this error from the terminal window...
    Code:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Transaction Summary
    =============================================================================
    Install      6 Package(s)
    Update     192 Package(s)
    Remove       0 Package(s)
    Total download size: 364 M
    Is this ok [y/N]: y
    Downloading Packages:
    Running Transaction Test
    Finished Transaction Test

Transaction Check Error:   file /usr/bin/embedspu.sh from install of spu-binutils-3.3-72 conflicts with file from package spu-utils-1.0-1
    [root@localhost ~]#
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    what should i do to fix this? i am am very good with linux.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by qtx999 View Post
    i was under the impression that the official (YDL) linux was crippled in this regard on purpose....it sits on top of the hypervisor that makes sure nothing gets into the lower level hardware....would love if this were wrong

seems bizarre that mpeg2 video is allowed (in the xmb) with bluray bandwidth, but not ac3 audio, hoping linux would be the solution
    It was intentionally crippled yes. However, they could've come up with better protection schemes than just restricting access to hardware. That's like a lazy solution. Whats the poiint of putting linux on the PS3 if it's gonna act like a PII 500Mhz with 256 Ram.

Quote Originally Posted by ads30
    hi all,

i am doing step 5e) and i am getting this error from the terminal window...
    what should i do to fix this? i am am very good with linux.
    Alright, I just did "yum update" in my ps3 to see how is life out there. Eternal. You are right! it took ALOOOT longer than when i did the first time a while back. I think alot of new packages have released

ok ads30, I want you to do me a favor. it seems the new spu package is confilicting with YDLs old package. I want you to skip the "yum update" step and go directly to the next step. If VLC, Mplayer and Snes install for you without "yum update". Let me know, so i can remove the step from my guide. It's no longer economical to run it if its not longer useful.

I also got the error about spubinutils but just ignored it, is this ok?

Isnt Linux also restricted from using the GPU aswell, if thats the case it only has 256MB RAM from the CELL to use!!!

Although on startup it does have some jumble about video ram being allocated and such (unless that sharing it from main RAM).

Anyone tried 720p/x264 stuff in vlc and ydl? Ive just installed ydl and is curious if its possible yet.

Banned User
    720p/x264 videos play, but are very choppy. at least with me they are.

With 720p/x264 releases I convert them to 720p AVC using PS3 Video 9 but it takes about 3 hours to convert!

hello,

can anyone please help me with a problem? i just did every step of this tutorial an everthing works great but i dont understand how can i enter with the user GNOME (not as root). Im new to linux so could anybody please explain what GNOME really is? and if GNOME is a user login how do i know the password? i have fedora core 5 and when i enter if i put GNOME as user then it asks me the password an i dont know. is this only for yellow dog?

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News