Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Air Force May Suffer Collateral Damage on PS3 OtherOS Removal

Although not surprising, today ArsTechnica.com reports that the US Air Force may suffer collateral damage (especially since investing in 300 followed by another 2200 consoles for research) due to Sony's recent decision to remove the OtherOS functionality via PS3 Firmware 3.21 from the PlayStation 3 entertainment system.

However, the Air Force stated they are aware of the recent class action lawsuits against Sony over this matter, to quote:

"We will have to continue to use the systems we already have in hand," a representative told Ars, "but this will make it difficult to replace systems that break or fail.

The refurbished PS3s also have the problem that when they come back from Sony, they have the firmware (gameOS) and it will not allow Other OS, which seems wrong.

We are aware of class-action lawsuits against Sony for taking away this option on systems that use to have it."

Air Force May Suffer Collateral Damage on PS3 OtherOS Removal

More PlayStation 3 News...

haha finally a government department that hopefully might be able to convince Sony to bring it back!

Quote Originally Posted by gtxboyracer View Post
    haha finally a government department that hopefully might be able to convince Sony to bring it back!
    I really do hope so, but i'm thinking Sony will make an exception for the Air Force and somehow bring back the function.

Quote Originally Posted by Chivafighter View Post
    I really do hope so, but i'm thinking Sony will make an exception for the Air Force and somehow bring back the function.
    Agreed, I can see them being able to "request" a specific firmware versions to be flashed on to refurbish/replacement PS3's - something a normal user is unable to request. We know they can do it with a JIG stick "Officially".

it'd be great if the air force sued sony or something and sony ended up re enabling it.. one can only dream.

I would love to see the fact of the air force going after sony to the point that sony decides there done making game systems and decide to team up with other companies.

What kind of 'research'? Or is this just a technical term for getting some practice in on some flight sims?

Why would they need 2200 PS3? Maybe use them in a new type of Tomahawk missile?

If Sony shafted the air force by not giving them back the otheros option, they could just send in a squadron a turn sony HQ into a smouldering black stain

Works both ways ya' see?

I am dead sure the USAF did not buy the consoles for PSN or online gaming!!! There is no need for them to ever update beyond 3.15. This should never bother them... unless my comment rings true when it surfaced on PS3News that the USAF purchased 2200 consoles to get kids to play an "army game" and when they beat the game some unsuspecting country at some forsaken place is suddenly wiped out ... Seriously - the USAF should not be affected at all!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OGroteKoning View Post
    Seriously - the USAF should not be affected at all!!!
    You missed the point: as far as they work they're fine, but if one/more ps3 broke down, after they send to sony they'll getting back as "useless junk" without otheros. And if they planned to buy additional units, they don't have reason to anymore. (It's unlikely they will buy secound-hand units.)

Quote Originally Posted by mushy409 View Post
    What kind of 'research'? Or is this just a technical term for getting some practice in on some flight sims?

Why would they need 2200 PS3? Maybe use them in a new type of Tomahawk missile?

If Sony shafted the air force by not giving them back the otheros option, they could just send in a squadron a turn sony HQ into a smouldering black stain

Works both ways ya' see?
    the usaf does more than weapons research. there are a multitude of simulations they could be running for finite results. and as the ps3 was not built with applied research in mind, sony would more likely steer any organizations using them for such purposes to their cell based workstations that cost around 5 times as much as a ps3.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast