Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    See, it is not just the normal consumer and enthusiasts that are complaining, even the researchers are complaining about Sony's bad move. Granted, they could easily request for specific firmware flash or made special firmware just for research, but specific firmware flash is unlikely since they would have teach their repair center how to that at the risk of possible information leak and the special firmware is unlikely as well since leak is possible too.

Besides being sued all over, not they are going to have Air Force breathing down their necks.

Either way, however Sony want to handle this matter, they need to be careful. Because they might just made a bigger and more powerful enemy if they do not tread carefully.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    well, they could do something very easy, they could create a special firmware from now to the future, with otheros just for them, for them and for all the other companies that have spent a lot of money till now, using ps3 for researches and other pruposes

we know about special pups that can updgrade downgrade and the flash the retail consoles, so i believe it's not so difficult for sony to create special firmwares with otheros back
    Last edited by dondolo; 05-13-2010 at 07:57 AM

Banned User
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    2500PS3 Consoles have the same calculation power like the roadrunner from IBM.

A Professor of the University of Cambridg(?) i'm not realy sure. created a linux based cluster system for the ps3. which makes it possible to build up a cluster farm of tousands of ps3's to calculate mathematical functions. simulate situations for war/earthquakes what ever.

the price of 2500ps3 consoles are 250$ *2500 = 625,000$. for 625,000$ you get a supercomputer for lifetime of they consoles which have the same power like the roadrunner of IBM, which costs 2,1m $ for one month.

greetings
    Warrorar

Quote Originally Posted by gtxboyracer View Post
    Agreed, I can see them being able to "request" a specific firmware versions to be flashed on to refurbish/replacement PS3's - something a normal user is unable to request. We know they can do it with a JIG stick "Officially".
    Sony could just sell them test decks as they support downgrading and otheros anyway.

The coolest thing that I can think of coming from this (aside from the USAF receiving a special firmware) would be the USAF "leaking" the firmware out haha. That would be pretty sick.

Quote Originally Posted by tragedy View Post
    Sony could just sell them test decks as they support downgrading and otheros anyway.
    all sony would have to do is give/sell the air force duplicates of the hardware that they have for repairing them and send a tech to train a the people that are working with the cluster (you're not going to tell me that someone that has made a supercomputer out of consumer electronics like the ps3 cant fix a console after a one hour training session)

then there is the conspiracy theory that the air force abducted Geohot and are having him maintain the ps3 super cluster while having him try to unlock the rsx graphics chip to linux so that they could run full fleged 3D environment (StarTreck hollideck type) simulations...

Quote Originally Posted by xUb3rn00dlEx View Post
    The coolest thing that I can think of coming from this (aside from the USAF receiving a special firmware) would be the USAF "leaking" the firmware out haha. That would be pretty sick.
    and given the whole area 51 thing, i don't think the air force is in the business of leaking any information.

Quote Originally Posted by inginear View Post
    and given the whole area 51 thing, i don't think the air force is in the business of leaking any information.
    Well said. But technically, this firmware is not, at least I believe not, some top secret super weapon being developed to turn humanity into sheep. It's a simple OS option to run the PS3, and sure I guess I'm being overly optimistic. I'll be waiting for the chinese to hack into their cluster and release the firmware themselves in this case!

And that was not being discriminatory, I am in awe of the chinese hacking scene they have going on over there. Stealing worldwide blueprints, systems, etc. Quite amazing to know that our nation is pretty powerless as it seems against the whole cyber-war they've got going on!

Quote Originally Posted by xUb3rn00dlEx View Post
    Well said. But technically, this firmware is not, at least I believe not, some top secret super weapon being developed to turn humanity into sheep. It's a simple OS option to run the PS3...
    Once the ps3 is fully hacked, "it only does everything" may even include turning Kevin Butler into a sheep on the adverts

...and possibly OtherOS.

I do doubt the USAF leaking the jig or even their "special" fw, if sony ever did allow it though

I think it's a simple case of sony and the airforce coming to some sort of organisational agreement of replacing their broken "cluster equipment" (broke ps3's) with one's which satisfactorally meets their requirements (read: has OtherOS enabled).

simples.

We could see the birth of the very first 'Military Mode' PS3 consoles brewed specially by Sony for the USAF.

Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News