Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

advantages to putting linux or any os on ps3?

Sponsored Links
    this might be a total newb question and hopefully i won't get flamed to hell for it. but being new to the ps3 (got it a week ago using money from wedding gifts ) i see a lot of stuff on linux on ps3 and also see sony approves this stuff. i guess to get to the point i'm just wondering what all can be done with using an os; can i play moving i put on the hdd like with a modded xbox, can i play homebrew and emulations this way and can i play back up ps1, 2, 3 games? if anyone has any info on this stuff it would be really helpful (maybe on how to get the os, install it, and running it) anyway thanks ahead for the help.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    How to get the OtherOS, install it, and run it is all detailed in the FC5 Tutorial at http://ps3.ps3news.com

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    can the ps3 load a iso off the harddrive or can anything be done with a ps3 iso on a pc? or are these just beginning steps to the scene?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    None of that yet... all you can do is dump PS3 games so far. Once you can play the iSOs there will be lots of threads in the PS3 Chat section on it.

You can do pretty much anything that you can do on a normal Linux box. Mine plays just about every movie format I can throw at it (you don't have to convert them) and you can use firefox and all of that crap if you want to have a full web browser on your TV. I also have SNES9x installed, but there is still a bit of a sound glitch going (it runs full speed though).

I also have SNES9x installed, but there is still a bit of a sound glitch going (it runs full speed though)
    There are new ps3av patches... don't feel like playing with them yet though (might not even fix the sound, but it might)

Yeah i agree, main perk to linux on ps3 besides dumping images is media play back, install VLC player, it will play anything :-)

About snes9x....is it possible to use the ps3 pad to play the emulated games via linux?

About snes9x....is it possible to use the ps3 pad to play the emulated games via linux?
    Yes, but in game...my triangle button didnt work... (isolated incident)

Thanks for the heads up :-)

Quote Originally Posted by hacked2123 View Post
    There are new ps3av patches... don't feel like playing with them yet though (might not even fix the sound, but it might)
    Do you know where I could find that and some directions on how to patch them in? The first search I found was just the file with no explanation whatsoever at what the patch does or how to use them.

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News