Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

3D Accelerated Graphics Are Coming to PS3 Linux

Sponsored Links
    The new Mesa 7.5 has been [Register or Login to view links] recently.

The interesting thing about it is that it is first release to contain [Register or Login to view links] architecture for "OS-independent and API-independent 3D drivers" which in turn contains drivers for various devices such as:

- softpipe - a software/reference driver
    - i915 - Intel 915/945 driver
    Cell - IBM/Sony/Toshiba Cell processor driver
    - nouveau (for NVIDIA GPUs) and R300 for (AMD/ATI R300)

You can read about state of Cell driver [Register or Login to view links].

This in fact will bring accelerated 3D graphics to PS3 where the graphics processing won't be done by RSX but by employing SPUs. This would vastly enhance usability of Linux running on PS3 by providing one of the things it's lacking now...

3D Accelerated Graphics Are Coming to PS3 Linux

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links

Thumbs Up

Sponsored Links
    Nice news indeed RexVF5, +Rep and I also moved it to the Site News as well so that more people will see it.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    Nice news indeed RexVF5, +Rep and I also moved it to the Site News as well so that more people will see it.
    Thanx a lot - nice picture you created for it. I was waiting for this news for almost a year since I have heard of Gallium and planned Cell driver. Hopefully this will provide some basis for great stuff - for example unavailability of 3D accelerated graphics meant that there can be usable emulator requiring such functionality (for example PS2).

Banned User
    If Ubuntu Karmic (9.10) will include this ... my goood... I'll upgrade my PS3 in a minute... I'm waiting for this kind of news for over 3 years now!

P.S.: [Register or Login to view links] It was already accepted... now to see it really take off ...
    Last edited by mihaiolimpiu; 07-21-2009 at 11:41 AM

Not 100% sure what this is actually for,

But this will allow us to watch videos without any problems?? (Under linux) or even possibly make software rendered emulators like N64, Snes, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by zomgheals View Post
    Not 100% sure what this is actually for,

But this will allow us to watch videos without any problems?? (Under linux) or even possibly make software rendered emulators like N64, Snes, etc. etc.
    This will provide 3D accelerated graphics - for example OpenGL. That in turn can be used to program various emulators that require 3D capabilities. I wouldn't call it "software rendered" - SPUs are powerful vector units very similar to GPUs but much more flexible. Recently GPU vendors are going in a direction of more flexibility (i.e. CUDA) allowing to use GPU for other tasks than just graphics.

It also can be used to accelerate video decoding.

Quote Originally Posted by RexVF5 View Post
    Thanx a lot - nice picture you created for it. I was waiting for this news for almost a year since I have heard of Gallium and planned Cell driver. Hopefully this will provide some basis for great stuff - for example unavailability of 3D accelerated graphics meant that there can be usable emulator requiring such functionality (for example PS2).
    Not very likely. Maybe some ps1 level games but the cell is not going to do CPU work AND GPU work to the point where it would you could play a ps2 emulator with any satisfactory smoothness. Unless i am not comprehending the awesomeness of the cell in the ps3 well

Why isnt there 3d access to the rsx in linux? whats the security benefit?

Now this is wonderful news.

Maybe there will be some progress in a mediacenter app running from linux, like xbmc.

I wonder how soon the different linux distributions will get this in their repositories. I haven't played around with Linux on the PS3 recently, but with wireless controllers working and now 3D acceleration it may be time to get it setup again with emulators to test it out.

What I would like to know is how many SPUs will this utilize, and since there are multiple SPUs in the PS3 couldn't some be used for 3d acceleration and others for CPU power? Or maybe I don't have a good understanding of how they are utilized when booted in linux?

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News