The 1.90 Firmware update just hit Japanese PS3s. Let's dive in and see what the update entails:
• Ability to rearrange games on the XMB
• Option menu now includes "eject disk"
• Press triangle to eject games/CDs/movies in the XMB
• XMB backgrounds
• Change the folder classification
• Change CD output to 44.1/88.2/176.4kHz
• Force 24Hz output for Blu-ray over HDMI
• Change PS3 video settings in-game
• "Bit Mapping" in the "Music Setting"
• Save AVCHD type animations from a Memory Stick
• Change settings like upscaling while playing PS and PS2 games
• Add bookmarks
• Web browser security function in the browser's tool section
• Avatar moves during audio visual chat
Would of thought US & EUR update would follow soon.
Firmware Update: PS3 FW 1.90 goes live in Japan, lots of changes made
Just a few hours ago, we reported on a rumor about the new PlayStation 3 FW 1.90. A tipster, Not A Tad Bit gave us a heads up on the features that are included in the latest firmware update released first in Japan.
The information comes straight from Zoople and Game Watch (so please forgive the semi-Engrish Google translations of the features). From what we can understand from the translations, the PS3 FW 1.90 goes live tomorrow in all other regions and will sport a number of new features like customization options for the wallpaper in the cross media bar (XMB) and fonts. Another interesting feature comes in the form of Home Chat - users can attach a USB keyboard and chat with friends. Playback quality of music CDs also get a level up with a output frequency options.
The other features include:
* Games on the XMB can now be sorted
* Inclusion of "eject disk" on the option menu
* BD/DVD setting now provides an option for 24Hz output over HDMI
* CD music output also has new options for output frequency: 44.1, 88.2, and 176.4 kHz
* Output settings will be available for PSOne and PS2 games.
* Bookmarks can now be added
* Browser Security will be added to the tools of the PS3 internet browser
* Video settings can be changed in-game
* Music settings now include "Bit Mapping"
* Emoticons and avatars are included in the chat, avatars move in reaction to audio in AV chat
* AVCHD type animated pictures can be saved from Memory Sticks
Interesting. So far, the said changes have gone live only in Japan. Excited for 1.90? Well, according the reports, PSP FW 3.52 is also going live tomorrow. Better hold on to your hats.
I believe that this firmware is also supposed to add an option to force 1080p/24 Blu-ray/DVD playback which is supposed to fix compatibility issues with certain 1080p sets. gurnaballs > what speed and brand media are you using for your backups?