Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Exclamation PS-SYSTEM 306R Suspected to be Cause of Dead PS3 3.00 Drives

Sponsored Links
    Update: The eagle eyes at [Register or Login to view links] have now spotted a [Register or Login to view links] on Sony's official PlayStation forums indicating the issue is ongoing, and speculating that a potential combination of PS3 Firmware 3.10 alongside Modern Warfare 2 may also be attributed to dead PS3 Blu-ray drives.

As a follow-up to our dead PS3 Blu-ray drive community project from last week, our PS3 Devs have identified what they believe to be the root cause of drive failures associated with the recent updates in PS3 Firmware v3.00/v3.01.

We suspect that the 3.00 and 3.01 PS3 Firmware updates, which contain the BD firmware patch file BDPT_FIRMWARE_PACKAGE_306R.PKG, is the main contributing factor to the failed drives.

The PS3 Devs want to get ahold of some BD drives that have been bricked by the update in order to prove that the PS-SYSTEM 306R Firmware patch in the update is responsible for the damaged drives.

Apart from what version of Firmware users had before they upgraded and failed, we also would like to know (only if they are certain!) from the dead drive owners:

1) If they had a disc in the drive during the update, if so, what was in there.

2) Did they use the PSN store prior to (in the same session, as in, between the power on and upgrade) the FW upgrade?

3) Did they play a downloaded game from the PSN store prior to (in the same session, as in, between the power on and upgrade) the upgrade?

4) What model number of PS3 console they had?

Finally, please NOTE we are only seeking consoles that have NOT been tampered with... meaning no warranty sticker, no good to us.

Any modification or opening will make what we get tainted and useless... we need a system that has failed and has been unopened. Thanks!

PS-SYSTEM 306R Suspected to be Cause of Dead PS3 3.00 Drives

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    No my drive was empty

2) Did they use the PSN store prior to (in the same session, as in, between the power on and upgrade) the FW upgrade?
    No, I have never really used the psn other than demos

3) Did they play a downloaded game from the PSN store prior to (in the same session, as in, between the power on and upgrade) the upgrade?
    Nope, just upgraded

model number cechg01, 40gb from spiderman 3 bundle

Finally, please NOTE we are only seeking consoles that have NOT been tampered with... meaning no warranty sticker, no good to us.
    My warranty sticker is still sealed

I just want my ps3 fixed. I have never hacked or modified it. I think its horrible that its happened to so many people and Sony acts as if its nothing. Just pay $149 to get it fixed or $299 to buy a slim.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by DJDAVE04 View Post
    I just want my ps3 fixed. I have never hacked or modified it. I think its horrible that its happened to so many people and Sony acts as if its nothing. Just pay $149 to get it fixed or $299 to buy a slim.
    You are not alone... many reports have even plagued Sony's official boards and seem be removed shortly after appearing, possibly due to the class action suit being initiated against them.

It definitely isn't fair to charge people for something Sony is most likely responsible for breaking, which is why the resident PS3 Devs have opted to analyze some of the dead drives and provide concrete proof of the root cause that can be used to further substantiate the case.

If any others have dead drives, by all means post the relevant details below and one of the Devs working on the project will reply back.

Quote Originally Posted by DJDAVE04 View Post
    No my drive was empty

No, I have never really used the psn other than demos

Nope, just upgraded

model number cechg01, 40gb from spiderman 3 bundle

My warranty sticker is still sealed

Dave,

Please contact me via my email link on this site and I will contact you if you wish to donate or sell your unit.

In our estimation, SCE is hoping to get away with it because they erroneously believe that their security is watertight and no one will ever know, or more correctly, no one will be able to prove any wrong doing on their part.

Yes, their security is very good; but it isn't anywhere near as watertight as they'd like to believe.

We have already extracted the various FW versions from various builds of drives in the past. So we're in a very good position to determine from a dead drive what exactly has happened to it.

RPS.

my my my,

i remember all the proud PS3 owners clapping in joy when the dark days of the xbox were proving to be a true fact that RROD was invading systems accross the globe. The attitude obviously was that SONY was a superior company to which hardly had no faults.

One story i remember from before sony was about to launch its systems to stores that 5/8 of systems were tested as working meaning 3/8 were filtered from the production line up before packed and shiiped to stores... obviously this was not released to many info sites as it did not count as being a problem for the consumer. As long as it worked for us right?

Problem is now there are a heap load more XBOXs than PS3s and it still seems to be the outcome every per month sales are being calculated and even with the RROD occuring microsoft seems now to have a much better guarantee / repair policy than SONY.

Now that SONY has screwed up the firmware and is causing systems to go down i want to see the free guarantee they will be offering for users... them being SONY and all... im sure there wont be a touch of GREED in their intentions... wish everyone the best of luck.

Mine still on version 2.70.

I don't think upgrading to 3.0 or 3.01 is worth the risk.
    Besides, would the devs pay a shipping from Brazil to usa ? Ps3 is so heavy that would cost a lot.

And I would like to understand, is this attempt to get dead drivers to sue sce/sony ? or is it to try to find an way to hack the ps3 system ?

For all those interested I uploaded the BDPT_FIRMWARE_PACKAGE_306R.PKG file CJPC was talking about so all can have a look however good luck reading jumbled up binary.

Also as a side note I have a 60GB Launch PS3 that survived the 3.01 update it had COD4 in the drive, I wasnt playing any downloaded game and hadn't used PSN store and I was on 2.80. Lets hope sony can resolve this issue soon

Drive Failure

Yes, a PS2 game "Xenosaga I"

No, just downloaded firmware.

No.

CECHA01 - phat 80gb PS3 with backwards compatibility (hardware driven - emotion chip)

This unit is not modified in anyway and still has the original warranty sticker.

It was approximately 2 weeks after the firmware update when the drive failed.

Shutdown the system directly from a PS3 demo.

Turning on the system afterwards, no disks can be read: CD's, PS1 / PS2 /PS3 disks, DVD's, and blurays.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
    For all those interested I uploaded the BDPT_FIRMWARE_PACKAGE_306R.PKG file CJPC was talking about so all can have a look however good luck reading jumbled up binary.
    I +Rep'd ya for your effort yellowsnow, but since the "Big $" is likely to catch wind of this project the PS3 Devs who are working on it wish to keep everything pertaining to it legal. As you're probably aware the FW packages contain (c) SCE code, and basically they don't want to give Sony a reason to put the kibosh on this project is all.

They do have the FW packages though, and are now just seeking a few dead units.

Question

Is this file/patch updated in all firmware updates? or is this more of a 'one in a while' file/patch updates?

How often are we updating this file? I've heard people suggest their drives have failed at numerous version updates thats all.

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News