Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by Transient View Post
    Have you tried building a BD-J image and then writing it to DVD-R? I know this worked for HD-DVD images. Obviously the image has to be small enough to fit on a DVD-R.

Admittedly, I know nothing about BD-J, but I thought I'd ask since it wasn't mentioned.
    Actually I have but for some reason it seemed to me, it wouldn't work. However I will try that. There is a 140MB image ready to be used with BD-J available here:

[Register or Login to view links]

I'll give it a try ASAP and will let you know.

According to [Register or Login to view links] it should be supported out-of-the-box!!! Great idea! Thanx a lot Transient. I'll start testing ASAP.
    Last edited by RexVF5; 05-26-2008 at 08:52 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseman View Post
    I highly doubt u can exploit the ps3 though the BD-J.
    as doubtful as it may seem, that's how holes are left open for exploits.

Sponsored Links

Progress information - using DVD-RW instead of BD-RE

Sponsored Links
    I have started some preparations. It took some time to create and tweak to create DVD-RW with BR contents so that it is accepted by PS3 as AVCHD (or something like that). Here's summary:

1) Took BR image from [Register or Login to view links]
    2) Added BD-J stuff available at the same site.
    3) Burnt the stuff as UDF 2.50 using Nero Linux (I am Linux user primarily and haven't yet found a way to do this from command line - I am still pretty lame in Linux).

At this point PS3 was still seeing the disc as DATA (on attempts to play .m2ts file from it or copy the whole disk the PS3 hanged up). Started to look around what the reason could be. I found something similar here:

[Register or Login to view links]

The solution to similar issue is to replace Index.bdmv and Movieobject.bdmv with Nero ones available here:

http://www.ps3news.com/forums/attach...chmentid=14569

This made the disk accepted by PS3 however it only plays one of the videos (there are 3 or 4) and I couldn't get to any menu or get BD-J to start. However I think with some tweaking (probably those 2 .bdmv files need to be re-created somehow - have to read some stuff on BR authoring) I will get it running as BR disk. Any suggestions are welcome.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hey.. goood idea here. Did the BDMV work for your ?

In Nero 8. There is an option to make BluRay DVD. Maybe you can try that and see if that works for you ?

If one of your primary goals is to access the PS3's file system, have you considered just using custom PS2 code? While I do not own a PS2 game that utilizes the hard drive (to see how and where it places files and data) I do know that Final Fantasy XI is fully supported.

This means that PS2 code can both access the hard drive in some fashion and also access the network (again I do not have the game to test this but that is what it says on the official bc support page). I have not bothered to try it, but it seems fairly easy to run custom PS2 code on the PS3 by either using the swap magic method described in the forums or the hardware switch method (if you want to use this method, make sure to be careful or you will burn out your laser).

If the BD-J method works, it may have greater access to the file system but the PS2 method would not require a BD burner.

ps2 additional file

Kinda makes me wonder.. There was a file on the ps3 store that was an addon file to let you use the ps3 harddrive for ps2 games that use the hdd. Do you think that the file just converts the ps2 data so its compatible on the ps3 or do you think that it just creates a partition on the hdd?

Quote Originally Posted by jabberosx

In Nero 8. There is an option to make BluRay DVD. Maybe you can try that and see if that works for you ?
    Nope, I didn't get BDMV running yet. I got Nero 8 t test BR DVD. Stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sandytf
    If one of your primary goals is to access the PS3's file system, have you considered just using custom PS2 code? While I do not own a PS2 game that utilizes the hard drive (to see how and where it places files and data) I do know that Final Fantasy XI is fully supported.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelbemine3
    Kinda makes me wonder.. There was a file on the ps3 store that was an addon file to let you use the ps3 harddrive for ps2 games that use the hdd. Do you think that the file just converts the ps2 data so its compatible on the ps3 or do you think that it just creates a partition on the hdd?
    That would require me to know PS2 coding which I do not. However I am quite good with Java, reversing it, coding for it, etc... That's why BD-J is far more appealing to me.

Not having the BR writer is a bit of issue but I started to look for ways to overcome this and I found one. One option is the DVD already discussed. There is another one: I only need one BR media which contains valid BD-J code that allows you to download some other BD-J code and run it. Such media are (even freely) available and I already signed up to receive one. If I do not get one for free I will just get the image and will have someone write one such BD-RE for me to start testing. So I hope I will get it up running soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jabberosx View Post

Jabber,

can you tell me where to look for such option? I haven't found it there. There is an option to burn DVD disks, there is option BR disks, but not "BluRay DVD".
    Last edited by RexVF5; 05-31-2008 at 05:31 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

RexVF5,

Try this.. [Register or Login to view links]

The format you are trying for is called BD9. Hopefully this will help.

Also, for the option in Nero i think youneed the BD_TEST plugin enabled. Not sure how to get that anymore. As i cant see that option in my home computer too. I saw that option at my work comp where i had that plugin enabled at one time.
    Last edited by jabberosx; 06-03-2008 at 05:10 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

GREAT, GREAT, GREAT!!! The image from the re works in PS3 and contains BluRay file structure. I will try to add BD-J code to see if that works.

Awesome.. Looking forward to hear your results.

Sponsored Links
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News