Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

What wire(s) will I need for installing my DMS4 Pro S.E. ?

Sponsored Links
    I'm still waiting on my DMS4 Pro S.E. to arrive, but in the meantime I wanna gather all my needed supplies.

For starters, what kind of wire will I need?? Kynar wire wrap 22 AWG or 30 AWG ?? And is there a difference in wire required for PWR and GND points opposed to all the VIA/IC spots that need soldering??

And do I really need to use a glue gun to glue my wires down on the mobo?? And can I glue the chip down on the mobo?? Or how do I best situate the chip to the mobo without causing shorts etc..

Lastly, is there a picture guide/tutorial for the install? (besides the diagrams I have seen already for my v4 PS2)

Sponsored Links

Big Grin

Sponsored Links
    The 22 and 30 awg wire is what you need but on the power and ground wire use the 22 awg wire to ensure good modchip performance and the rest of the points you can use the 30 awg wire.

The glue part is up to you if you want to do that but isn't required, just make sure to have the wires as short as possible to the points of solder and especially the power and ground wire make it short as possible.

For the diagrams i don't have any on as you mostly use the install diagrams they have for the chip, just make sure not to cross a bunch of wires over each other as this might cause the modchip to not operate correctly, but they can be put side by side though and don't have any bad kinks in the wires as this can cause signal bounce back on some modchips.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I don't see how i can keep the power wire as short as possible.. the chip will sit further away.. The GND wire on the other hand will only be like 2-3 cm.

When you mention crossing wires, you mean not to wrap wires together in a braided fashion.. Correct?? Not that I'd do that.. but I would have wires running alongside one another in an almost parallel fashion.

Edit: I have another question.. What setting would I use on my voltage/ohm meter to measure continuity of my solder points to the chip?? Just to check if a signal is coming from all wires before I'd close up the PS2 and call it a day?? And if so, what value am I looking for?? Would I just use OHMs at like 20K setting?? (same thing i did to measure the OHM value of my GameCube's POT laser)

Yep ohm setting should do the trick on your meter, and when i say short as possible for the power and ground wire i know the ground will be short which is good but the power will be okay at a longer lenght just make it so it reaches it's solder point and it will still work good.

Ok, my modchip arrived yesterday and I'm ready to begin installation..

Ok, so I have a v4 bulky PS2 and I'm not sure if its GAP or NO GAP.. regardless, do I follow this image then? Also, do I follow all those sections to a que? Even soldering of the underside of the mobo?? And do I need the V wire or not??

Also, how can I mount the modchip to my mobo?? Can it be electrical tape or does it have to be hot glue at all 4 corners underneath the modchip?? I don't want the chip wiggling around inside the PS2 when its all closed up again.

Lastly, is there ANY picture/diagram of a finished DMS4 Pro SE install that shows me how their wires were routed in specific or how its all organized so I get what you mean about not crossing wires.. I just wanna see a hi-resolution example of someones finished DMS4 install.

I'll post an attachment of the diagram i found. Is it fairly accurate?
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

DMS4SE_V4_GH-008_13.jpg  

There are plenty of install pics out there the main things are to keep the wires as short as possible and not to cross them. Other then that its up to you on how you want to run them. I suggest you solder all the wires to the board first without cutting them and then you can get almost an exact fit to the chip, no guess work involved.

You can either tape the wires down, or hot glue them people have done it both ways. I suggest you hot glue the chip down as well but you could probably secure it with a bit of scotch tape until your sure it works right.

You'll need to find out whether or not your chip has the GAP bios or NOGAP bios, nearly everything else is the same except the solder points on this chip (due to it being different). Its easy to locate and just as easy to label as gap or no gap.

Simply put, the BIOS IC will either have all the legs in a row with no gaps (no gap lol) or there will be a space in the legs (about 4-5 pins wide) on both sides of the BIOS IC in the middle of it.

I suggest you hot glue the wires, down as well, at both contact points on the chip as well as the motherboard. I have had a DMS4 Pro in my ps2 for a while now, and I started noticing that it would not properly work all the time. When I opened the ps2 I saw one wire that was a little loose, I replaced it hot glued everything and it has been working like a charm. Hot glue is also a very very good idea if you move your system around alot like I do.

I wouldn't hot glue the solder points if I were you...if the soldering job is good , you don't need any hot glue...if the solder job is poor the hot glue just gets in the way when you have to re-solder a wire or somethng...and you also risk removing some components of the mainboard (some small capacitor or resistor) while removing the hot glue..

In reference to the hot glue I was simply suggesting he use those to keep the wires tight to the board. I would really not suggest he use hot glue on the solder points at all and to be safe you could probably leave about 4" from the solder points and from the chip unglued that way if you had to re solder you have some slack to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by WOWchamp View Post
    In reference to the hot glue I was simply suggesting he use those to keep the wires tight to the board. I would really not suggest he use hot glue on the solder points at all and to be safe you could probably leave about 4" from the solder points and from the chip unglued that way if you had to re solder you have some slack to work with.

I know ^^ I war referring to Stargalaqtic's post

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News