Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    what if you have a 64bit machine with more than 4GB of RAM or an SSD or a touch screen or any number of hardware improvements that were just tacked onto xp but don't actually work that well? Face it XP is old, why don't you just run win95 or 2000 I'm sure they'll run faster if thats all you care about.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I guess nobody agrees with you

Banned User
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I'll admit I do not run/use such things on my PC and have no need for Win7 whatsoever, I guess I am just old fashioned that way. I do not PC game, thus 4GB of ram = useless, SSD I have no use for as my HDD works just fine, and a touch screen... please, I HATE touch screen crap, especially the iphone.

I find it repulsive the touch screen stuff is becoming more of a standard, and I hope it dies off VERY soon. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying people who use Win7 are idiots, heck my father uses it and he is a brilliant man whom I respect greatly. But I can say as long as XP is supported by most of the software manufacturers, I will not switch to Win7 or anything else until it is absolutely necessary.

Also XP is still the king as far as businesses are concerned, and I'm sure there is good reason for that.

Quote Originally Posted by leukotic View Post
    I do not PC game, thus 4GB of ram = useless
    I use photoshop and Maya among other 3D editing software, 4GB+ is essential for a smooth work flow with a decent number of polygons, hardware upgrades aren't just for gamers
    SSD I have no use for as my HDD works just fine
    Try one, moving to a SSD was the single most revolutionary upgrade I've ever had
    and a touch screen... please, I HATE touch screen crap
    Every tech has a time and a place, I use a touchscreen PC in my kitchen as a juke box and it's awesome no other interface would be as suited, of course no ones going to bang out their coursework or a revolutionary new piece of software typed out on an onscreen keyboard but that's not what it's for.
    XP is still the king as far as businesses are concerned, and I'm sure there is good reason for that.
    Yes and it took them years to adopt it after XP's release, some are already moving to win7 machines mine has already started a roll out (no where near finished yet but it's happening)

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by barrybarryk View Post
    I use photoshop and Maya among other 3D editing software, 4GB+ is essential for a smooth work flow with a decent number of polygons, hardware upgrades aren't just for gamers
    Agreed, although it isn't impossible for an XP machine to do 4GB + is it? I have no personal experience going past that point, but I would imagine plenty of companies and people who need 4GB+ can do so just fine on a XP machine.
    Try one, moving to a SSD was the single most revolutionary upgrade I've ever had
    I will eventually, but it is far too expensive per GB right now. Plus the advantages aren't worth the price IMO, at least for what I do.
    Every tech has a time and a place, I use a touchscreen PC in my kitchen as a juke box and it's awesome no other interface would be as suited, of course no ones going to bang out their coursework or a revolutionary new piece of software typed out on an onscreen keyboard but that's not what it's for
    Agreed, touchscreens do have their use. Still seems too much of a 'fad' right now for me to accept though, but I do admit it works great for ATM machines .
    Yes and it took them years to adopt it after XP's release, some are already moving to win7 machines mine has already started a roll out (no where near finished yet but it's happening)
    I have no doubt that every company within the next 5-10 years will adopt to Win7, that is just how it works with these things. They have to keep up with the general demand and flow, and since our world is moving in the direction of Win 7 (the Facebook, Twitter and iphone generation) they will as well because they don't want to be left behind.

win7/8

If you have a Win Xp 64bit version you can do everything a Win7 can do just thought i put that out there seeing as i am running WinXp 64bit myself, But don't get me wrong Win7 is a nice OS and 100 times better then Vista.

I just hope they don't go messing it up with Windows 8.

no there is a 64bit version of XP it's just terrible and generally unsupported. As for a SSD I'd seriously reconsider using one, not as a replacement for old HDDs but as a supplement just grab a cheap small one and use it as a drive for your windows install, everything will be much much faster, quieter and draw less power. Not to mention even forensic departments can't recover deleted data from them if you're the more security conscious.

But the point is saying Windows 7 is worse than XP because it uses more resources is nonsense. It uses more resources because it's a much more complicated OS with vastly improved support. Windows 7 is evolutionary more than revolutionary obviously hardware designed for XP is going to run it poorly and hardware designed for windows 7 is going to run XP faster, it's a 10 year old OS, same as it'll run win95 at lightning speeds.

That doesn't change the fact that right now Windows 7 is a much better supported OS with more features.

Though back on topic and from what I've seen from Windows 8 I wouldn't be suprised if the name changed before release as it looks more like it's designed to work in tandem with Win7 on tablets rather than replacing it on desktops. I might try get my hands on the build and give it a shot first though, it really depends on how invasive the touchscreen optimisations are on a desktop optimised version

Because these versions of windows 8 are build on the kernel of Win7 of last september i believe wouldn't that mean it would be as stable as a normal win7 version?

Quote Originally Posted by saviour07 View Post
    This site also posts news relative to other areas of technology, not just the PS3, and some people are interested in this kind of information.
    in that case change the domain from "ps3news.com" to gamernews.com or adrevenuewhores.com

why? I don't see the point in me signing up for dozens of different sites & forums to discuss things that are offtopic but of interest. Did anyone make you read the thread? True it's in the console news section instead of the old PC news section, which incase you haven't noticed, is gone.

Believe it or not quite a few members of the forum use PC's and a few of those might, just might, use windows OS's so it'll probably be of interest to these very few members.

Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News