Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Video: Microsoft Unveils Windows 8 OS at D9 Conference

Sponsored Links
    Today Microsoft has unveiled the upcoming Windows 8 Operating System at the D9 conference where a preview of the new OS was demonstrated.

The UI has changed considerably now being similar to Windows Phone 7's Metro UI, and those interested can check out the video below alongside the official [Register or Login to view links] press release.

Press Release: REDMOND, Wash. - June 1, 2011 - Today, at the D9 Conference, we demonstrated the next generation of Windows, internally code-named "Windows 8," for the first time. Windows 8 is a reimagining of Windows, from the chip to the interface. A Windows 8-based PC is really a new kind of device, one that scales from touch-only small screens through to large screens, with or without a keyboard and mouse.

The demo showed some of the ways we've reimagined the interface for a new generation of touch-centric hardware. Fast, fluid and dynamic, the experience has been transformed while keeping the power, flexibility and connectivity of Windows intact.

Here are a few aspects of the new interface we showed today:

- Fast launching of apps from a tile-based Start screen, which replaces the Windows Start menu with a customizable, scalable full-screen view of apps.
    - Live tiles with notifications, showing always up-to-date information from your apps.
    - Fluid, natural switching between running apps.
    - Convenient ability to snap and resize an app to the side of the screen, so you can really multitask using the capabilities of Windows.
    - Web-connected and Web-powered apps built using HTML5 and JavaScript that have access to the full power of the PC.
    - Fully touch-optimized browsing, with all the power of hardware-accelerated Internet Explorer 10.

We also showed effortless movement between existing Windows programs and new Windows 8 apps. The full capabilities of Windows continue to be available to you, including the Windows Explorer and Desktop, as does compatibility with all Windows 7 logo PCs, software and peripherals.

Although the new user interface is designed and optimized for touch, it works equally well with a mouse and keyboard. Our approach means no compromises - you get to use whatever kind of device you prefer, with peripherals you choose, to run the apps you love. This is sure to inspire a new generation of hardware and software development, improving the experience for PC users around the world.

Today, we also talked a bit about how developers will build apps for the new system. Windows 8 apps use the power of HTML5, tapping into the native capabilities of Windows using standard JavaScript and HTML to deliver new kinds of experiences.

These new Windows 8 apps are full-screen and touch-optimized, and they easily integrate with the capabilities of the new Windows user interface. There's much more to the platform, capabilities and tools than we showed today.

We are excited to bring an innovative new platform and tools to developers and see how their creativity jumpstarts a new generation of apps. Windows 8 apps can use a broad set of new libraries and controls, designed for fluid interaction and seamless connectivity.

Apps can add new capabilities to Windows and to other apps, connecting with one another through the new interface. For example, we showed today how a developer can extend the file picker control to enable picking from their own app content or from within another Windows 8 app, in addition to the local file system and the network. We're just getting started.

And this isn't just about touch PCs. The new Windows experience will ultimately be powered by application and device developers around the world - one experience across a tremendous variety of PCs. The user interface and new apps will work with or without a keyboard and mouse on a broad range of screen sizes and pixel densities, from small slates to laptops, desktops, all-in-ones, and even classroom-sized displays. Hundreds of millions of PCs will run the new Windows 8 user interface. This breadth of hardware choice is unique to Windows and central to how we see Windows evolving.

The video below introduces a few of the basic elements of the new user interface. Although we have much more to reveal at our developer event, BUILD (Sept. 13 - 16 in Anaheim, Calif.), we're excited to share our progress with you.

Today's demonstration followed our announcements earlier this year about Windows 8 running on System on a Chip (SoC) processors, and our browser engine innovations and significantly increased standards support in Internet Explorer 10.

Windows 8 extends these innovations and reimagines every level of the Windows architecture - the kernel, networking, storage, devices, user interface - all building on the broadest and richest ecosystem of software, peripherals and devices.

We have so much more on the way! We're working very hard to get the product ready for early testing, and we plan to kick off our engineering dialogue through our team [Register or Login to view links], just as we did for Windows 7.

So please stay tuned - we have a lot of cool innovation coming in the months ahead.

By Julie Larson-Green
    Corporate Vice President, Windows Experience

Video: Microsoft Unveils Windows 8 OS at D9 Conference

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    looks interesting.. might upgrade from vista when the final product is released.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Yea, it will take some getting used to (at least for me hehe) but it looks pretty decent indeed overall.

Banned User
    Looks absolutely horrible, I just wish this touchscreen stuff would die off already. Watching that video made me cringe thinking that this is the future I am going to have to deal with eventually. Damn Apple with their blasted iPhone!

looks good for a tablet don't see me using the interface on my desktops or laptop though, not really a fan of one application at a time on screen for a desktop.

Wtf it's horrible! omg

I hope microsoft read their users comments, because Windows 8 should be used for computers/laptops w/e, but really this is a smartphone OS if you ask me.

OMG >_> Microsoft is making another Windows Vista... Better wait for 9!

Looks great. I think i'll have to try the beta and see if its any good.

you can turn the interface or "start screen" off it's only a front end for tablets and folks that want to use it, there's a proper windows desktop underneath (seems identical to 7 at the minute with an 'app store'). Looks like a great addition for tablet users since windows 7 is terrible on tablets. I'll still be waiting for some decent reasons to upgrade my win 7 desktops and laptop to win 8 as there really aren't any revealed yet.

wow, I hate that, I'm not interested in this at all. Microsoft disabled comments and ratings on that video - I wonder why.

Why the heck would I want to use what is essentially the Mobile Phone version of Windows on my desktop?

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News