[size=4]Upgrade to vBulletin 4 or Stay How We Are?
Currently we are considering upgrading our Portal and Forum to vBulletin 4 in an effort to do the following:
If you have never seen vBulletin 4, some pics of it are below for a general reference on the overall look and feel of it.
- Allow users to make their own posts with PS3 releases, files, videos and news that we can easily move to the main page... and until they are frontpaged, people can see the upcoming news and comment on it in the Forum like a normal thread. Currently pending news can't be commented on as it is not accessible, plus it takes hours at times for news to be posted live in the queue so this would mean no waiting around.
- Allow users to attach more than 3 pictures or 1 file to news posts directly. Currently we are limited in the number attached.
- Allow users to post/embed video code easily. Currently it's a pain to use the tag system implemented due to the Portal.
- Allow users to have their own blog pages here (vBulletin 4 supports this, it's optional of course).
- Update the overall look and feel of the Portal and Forum, it's been 2-3 years already... time for a change or not really?
Below are some advantages of us keeping things the way they are for anyone unsure what they would lose in the big update:
- Activity/Longevity meters in Forum posts would go.
- Random Album Pictures would not be in vBulletin 4 so they would go.
- Category icons next to the Forum sections would go.
- Latest PS3 News block above the Forums may go (unless we can mod vB4 to support it).
- Usergroup Classes (Jr Member, Member, Sr Member, etc) may go (or we could readd them, although some people say they prefer all users to be in a single class with no user "higher up" than another one is).
- vB4 is still a beta and can be buggy in some browsers.