Due to popular request, I wrote tutorial for flashing T/S drives!
The easiest and safest way is to use a program called extreme boot maker. Its really quite easy.... assuming you can get the damn 360 case apart. Here is my tutorial, some of it comes from the readme. I am not covering the MS28 (might be very similar) or Hitachi drives at this time. See what drive you have here
Extreme Boot maker is essencial to this procces, with admin's permission I will upload it.
Xbox 360 with TS DVD drive
Tools to open 360 case
Sata Capable PC (or certain addon cards)
Thumb Drive or Floppy (or CDR but not reccomended)
Extreme Boot Maker Commodre4ever's Xtreme Firmware
1. Download xtreme firmware from above. Download Exteme Bootmaker from somewhere.
2. Load your floppy disk or connect your USB Flash Drive.
3. Run Xtreme Boot Maker. See attached picture.
3a. click open, select your extreme firmware
3b. check "use custom mtkflash"
3c. select your computer's sata from the dropdown
3d. click "detect I/O"
3e. check the boke's patch if you have an M28 (it will say on top of the drive), check neither if you have an M25.
3f. Select your thumbdrive/floppy/cd burner (with a CDR inserted) and check "make bootable".
*note* I highly reccomend not
using a CDR. If you use a CDR, you cannot backup and later restore your old firmware!
3g. then click "prepare drive"
4. Take off the faceplate from the front of the 360. It is significantly more difficult to do than it should be. Try to position your fingers inside the memory card slots.
5. (optional) Use the hairdryer to heat the sticker for a few minutes, then carefully and slowly pull it off. With some luck, you will not void your warrenty!
6. Take your 360 apart. This is by far the hardest step and I really can't help you much. I used a combination of thumbtacks and some eyeglass screwdrivers I borrowed and the back of my 360 is mangled (which voids my warrenty even though the sticker is perfect). I have heard of some people chopping up a spindle, and there are tools available to buy online.
7. Go into your computer's bios and tell it to boot from the floppy drive, usb drive, or cdrom depending on which you used above. Usually this option is in advanced settings. Turn off the PC.
8. Disconnect all drives from your pc except the one you need to run the boot device you made. Then connect the Sata cable from your PC to the 360's DVD drive. Leave the power connected to the drive from the 360.
9. Turn on the 360. Make sure a video cable is connected (doesn't need to be conected to a TV however).
10. Turn on the PC and it will Boot from your prepared drive or your NTFS cd.
11. Type "samread xxxxxxx xxxxx" to backup your 360's original firmware. The X's refer to the serial number on the back of your 360 case.
12. Type "samhack xxxxxxx xxxxx" to flash the Xtreme firmware.
(Don't include the quotes, and replace the X's again with your S/N)
Your done. Reassemble and try a backup!