Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li is a Flop at the Box Office

Sponsored Links
    It's official: "Street Fighter: the Legend of Chun-Li" is a flop. Even given a perfunctory release on 1,136 theaters, its estimated weekend gross of $4.65 million and per screen average of $4,093 is lame, albeit not disastrous.

Box Office Mojo has a useful chart of video game-to-movie adaptations, on which "Chun-Li" comes in no. 23 of 28. Amongst the movies that beat it: Uwe Boll's "In the Name of the King," "Alone in the Dark," and "House of the Dead"; "Wing Commander" in 1999; and "The Wizard" in 1989 (yes, folks, that's in non-inflation adjusted dollars).

And, yes indeed, it came in well behind the 1994 Jean Claude Van Damme "Street Fighter" classic, which bowed to $6.6 million.

Keep in mind, however, that a weak performance in the U.S. doesn't necessarily mean "Legend of Chun-Li" is a big money loser for financiers Capcom and Hyde Park.

For a movie like this, domestic release is basically a tool to support the places where it really makes money: Overseas (especially Asia) and DVD. With a budget I've heard estimated at around $30 million, the movie could still end up doing OK, even if not many people in the U.S. actually want to go to a movie theater and pay $10 to see it.

Given the bad reviews, soft opening, and the genre, it's pretty reasonable to expect this movie to take a giant drop next weekend. But it may have a trick up its sleeve in the form of "Watchmen."

Yes, logic would tell us that the young male audience that might be interested in a "Street Fighter" movie is a lot more likely to see "Watchmen."

However, the latter movie is rated R, while the former is PG-13, unlikely to sell out, and unlikely to raise eyebrows if, say, a 15 year-old boy buys tickets (as opposed to, say, "Madea Goes to Jail." So if teenagers are looking to buy tickets and sneak into "Watchmen," "Street Fighter" could benefit.

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    From what i've seen, it looks very badly produced, I'm not a fan of the director and the cast arent talented. A good story isnt enough lol.

Sponsored Links

Smile

Sponsored Links
    Still worth a look, i suppose..

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I figured this movie would be a flop, considering the average age group of Street Figther fans being in the ages of 20-30+ years of age. I for one have been a fan of the series since the beginning, and would'nt bother my time even watching it without paying, I've already seen the first live action failure on VHS when I wasted my time renting it. This one seems to have better effects and action but still seems to have that cheesy style feeling that makes you feel like your fandomship shall be frowned upon by the general public.

As I first seen the trailer for this title I was surprised that they came out with a new live action film for the franchise. I was also was surprised to see someone with a sword, theres no swords in Street Figther whats up with this? I also noticed that I couldn't make out who the characters were, although they looked cooler than the original Street Figther live action cast.

If you like SF2 and would like a decent representation in movie format Street Figther the animated movie is it.

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News