Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Speculation: Personal E3 2009 Predictions from CyanCaze

Sponsored Links
    As I'm sure many of you know, E3 2009 is about 2 weeks away and it's almost time to sit in front of your PlayStation's Xbox's and Wii's waiting for the next big announcement in gaming.

Now many of you have already expressed your opinions on what is and what isn't going to be at the show, however the is no thread that I could find so far where that data is compiled, I hope to do that with the commenting section below.

So here is how this works, Below are my E3 predictions and a percentage of how likely I personally think they are going to be announced at E3 09. I also include a small description of why I think this is going to happen.

It may take some of you a little time to write your E3 predictions but a well written comment tends to get you Reputation around here (If you are into that sort of stuff). Please don't post predictions that have been confirmed....

Also note that if there are E3 predictions you don't think will happen that have been speculated (With in reason, Nintendo isn't just going to cancel the Wii or something like that). Then you may also post your conflicting theory as to why those will not happen. And that you don't have to be as descriptive as me.

So here are MY personal beliefs about the upcoming E3 show.

Xbox portable, 52%: Microsoft really hasn't given us anything to latch on to lately. They have announced that a new console is currently being developed and I'll get to my predictions on that in a moment. But I thought to my self back at GDC why didn't they save that for E3?

Now I wrote it off back then as a "They just want development teams to be ready", but the more I thought about it it just didn't make sense to release such a important update there and not save it for E3 when you need to pull out all the stops, so my speculation grew on a Xbox portable.

Now, Microsoft has been eying the hand held market for some time. With the Zune as a sort of "test product" I'm sure they feel it's about the right time to release a full fledged gaming on the go system and try and beat Sony at their own game. Now the PSP isn't a bad system but it could be a lot better had Sony though it through a little bit. I personally own a PSP and I can't remember a day since I bought it over half a year ago that I haven't turned it on.

But the PSP did 3 things wrong that it's trying to correct with the PSP GO! 1: Physical media is a pain for such small games, and a portable system. 2: The battery life and... 3: the Storage should have been a 16GB with a optional 30GB upgrade HDD. Microsoft being a software company knows the importance of storage, Sony has always tried to get by with the bare minimum until the PS3 and since the PSP was made before then you can tell just by looking at it. This is where Microsoft is going to try and learn from Sony's mistakes and try and take the Hardcore portable market by storm.

They will probably use a clam shell design because Sony PSP's have a tendency to scratch when you are working (Trust me I use mine all the time at work...). And they want to make it fit in your hand correctly also it would be the only real way to put analog sticks on it (No nubs). I know it was a little bit off a odd prediction, but Microsoft has to have something going for it, and this may just be it.

PS3 Slim, 67%: I understand this is a prediction by many people now, and to be honest I wasn't convinced at all when I first heard about it. However when those pictures were leaked my interest in the story went from 0 to 60 in 0.1 seconds, I was only 50% convinced at that point, but when Sony immediately I knew something was up. If these were normal rumors that didn't effect Sony in any light then they would normally let them go.

But if this was a massive E3 announcement that was leaked then they want as few of people as possible to know about it so they became active and said NO!!! It's not very compelling evidence for those who still don't believe the Rumors but it's a start. But in my opinion here is what will happen.

The Slim will have 1! model for the time begin, all others will be cancelled. It will have PS2 Backwards compatibility and 2 or more USB ports most likely 4. Possibly memory card readers, but you will see PS2 backwards compatibility first.

PS3 Price Drop, 89% with slim 13% without it: If the new slim is announced then it will be made cheaper. Sony needs the slim or they will never get below the $400 mark. So Sony needs this so they can become competitive again. New Slim at $299 the golden PS mark and they will take off.

Next Xbox model shown off, 26%: Microsoft may release a prototype casing of the next xbox, but it's not likely.

Anyway those are the only predictions I really care about at this point. Please post your comments, and predictions of your own below and see how close you get when E3 starts in 2 weeks.

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links

Thumbs Up

Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by CyanCaze View Post
    It may take some of you a little time to write your E3 predictions but a well written comment tends to get you Reputation around here (If you are into that sort of stuff).
    I will also +Rep all detailed prediction replies, so that means those who take the time to make a prediction will receive a +39 from you and a +50 from me... an easy way to quickly gain rank here (meaning fewer ads, less frequent posting for downloads, etc).

Also, I bolded your predictions/percentages to make them easier to see... let the E3 2009 predictions begin!

PS: This post is just to let others know there is some incentive for sharing theirs. I will STICKY this thread for awhile now as well.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Ok, this are my predictions, I will not mess with CyanCaze's predictions so this thread can be enriched by multiple ones.

Rockstar announces GTA 4 exclusive DLC for PS3 70%
    Given the less than stellar sales for GTA4 DLC on 360 I believe Rockstar will announce some sort of DLC for PS3 different from the ones paid for by Microsoft. It makes sense economically speaking.

Kojima Productions announces the Next Metal Gear exclusive to PS3 60% Multiconsole 30% exclusive to 360 10%
    Hideo Kojima will announce that the next MGS will enter production and will not be directed by him. He will instead helm a new game probably Project S or a new ZoE. A video of this MGS using MGS4 engine will be shown and will raise a lot of questions. The long rumored MGS4 port for 360 may still come but I give that a 20% chance, MGS4 + Oxide a port of MGS4 on the iPhone for MS new Zune sounds more likely.

Atlus announces Megami Tensei 4 or Persona 5 50% (One of them maybe on Wii)
    This is a given but Atlus may wait until TGS for this announcement.

MS announces Final Fantasy Haeresis XIII (or some other weird name) exclusive to Xbox 360 40%
    It's no secret that Square Enix is in mad love with Microsoft and wants to have it's children so, I can see a FFXIII exclusive coming to the console and being part of the big reveal from MS.

MS announces it's motion camera, nobody cares about it gets pegged as a Wii clone 80%
    MS big jump into Wii territory misses it's target and nobody really cares much about it, hardcore gamers get angry when Gears of War lite gets announced and is an on rails shooter.

Sony announces it's motion controler, nobody cares about it gets pegged as a Wii clone 80%
    Same thing, ugly controller gets announced and goes the way of the Eyetoy.

Kingdom Hearts 3 for Wii and PS2 50% for PS3 40% for 360 10%
    Even though Tetsuya Nomura has expressed it's love for PS3 Square Enix might decide to release this game on the most "kid friendly" console on the market. Ms might dive into it's big pockets and manage to get this game for it's console if they decide to continue to poach best sellers for the Ps2 era.

Gran Turismo 5 is finally unveiled 90%
    Over 700 cars, 60 tracks, damage, night-day especially for the endurance courses, custom soundtrack, GT TV, Youtube integration, 16 player online races with online spectators, online tournaments.

And just to top it off a list of some games I think will be announced.

MS - Halo 3 ODST, Alan Wake, Kodu, Forza 3, Mass Effect 2, New Perfect Dark, Splinter Cell Conviction, Max Payne 3, Crackdown 2, Halo Portable and MGS4 for Next Zune.

Nintendo - New Legend of Zelda for Wii, Pokemon Wii, Wii Play 2, Brand new game by Mr. Miyamoto, Wave Race Wii, Pikmin 3, New Mario Game, Metroid Motion Plus.

Sony - Resistance 3, Ratchet and Clank Future 2, New Jak and Daxter, New Game for Team ICO, Twisted Metal, Rockstar Games Exclusive, Onimusha 5, Little Big Planet Portable, PS2 emulation for PS3.

I know, it's a loooong list but I figured I'll throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    My predictions:

95% chance of new revision of PS3 announced (I don't believe the pictures out there are of a proper 'PS3 Slim'.. that'll probably have to wait until the GPU process is down to equal (or less) than the CELL (40/45nm). Still no backwards compatibility, but I think it's 70% possible that PS2 'classics' may be announced for the PSN store (similar to the Xbox 360 approach) that would run on all PS3s. SCE have already said they still lose money on each PS3 sold, but on a new chassis...? No revisions to Bluetooth (no point really..), but 80% possibility of an 802.11n upgrade to Wi-Fi. I'd expect no more than a $75 reduction. If it's quieter than my current 60GB one, then I'll be first in line. New machine available at the end of June/beginning of July, to co-incide with firmware 2.80 (firmware is on a 3 month cycle).

PSP Go! will be shown, with a release in the fall. No UMD.. but will be able to buy titles on Memory Stick (or download from the PSN store).

50% chance that it'll have an OLED display - like the new Sony Walkman models. Priced as a premium model ($50 more than current PSP hardware). I also expect that they've spent a reasonable amount of dev time on platform security.. so I won't be expecting homebrew/CFW on it any time soon.

Software-wise, more stuff about Uncharted 2, God Of War III. But maybe something from Team ICO (either the 'Trico' title that's been mentioned in the past, or a PS3 remake of 'Shadow Of The Colossus'). I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that PS3 will get DivX 7 (and hence MKV) support too.. that would be fantastic. Release dates for 'Heavy Rain' disclosed.

100% chance that Microsoft will show their motion camera.. not convinced it'll go down well with the hardcore, but is just another way of trying to latch onto the Wii's core market. I don't believe Sony will show their new controller (the one that uses EyeToy from recent patent discoveries).. is too early for it.

Microsoft may show a redesigned 360, slimmer & quieter (60%). But they don't have much movement available on price (it's already pretty cheap, to be honest).

Nintendo will likely unveil a new Mario/Zelda game for the Wii (90%).. something to try to appeal to the hardcore, but post-E3 feedback from consumers will (again) say that Nintendo are not satisfying hardcore gamer's needs.

0% chance that information on any *real* next-gen consoles is released.. it's way too early for that..

It should be a good E3!

Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    I will also +Rep all detailed prediction replies, so that means those who take the time to make a prediction will receive a +39 from you and a +50 from me... an easy way to quickly gain rank here (meaning fewer ads, less frequent posting for downloads, etc).

Also, I bolded your predictions/percentages to make them easier to see... let the E3 2009 predictions begin!

PS: I will likely add some of my own here over the weekend... this post is just to let others know there is some incentive for sharing theirs. I will STICKY this thread for awhile now as well.
    Thanks for updating that lol I wrote this at like 2 in the morning after only 5 hours of sleep the night before so I didn't bother the proof read. If I catch any more mistakes I'll let you know so you can change them if you want.

Also everyone else who is going to post you may also agree with people who already posted and resubmit the idea. For instance, I saw that Otarumx say that he believes Gran Turismo 5 will be unveiled at the show. I personally agree with that and I would post a E3 prediction saying something like...

Gran Turismo 5 will be shown at E3, 97% I am pretty sure that GT5 will be shown off at the show, Sony has been hiding around the bush for over 2 years now only offering Prologue for it's hard core Gran Turismo. It would be the perfect time to bring such a heavy hitter up to bat and sell more PS3 consoles in 2 months then it's sold in the past 3 years it's been alive <(Over estimation I know....). If the new PS3 slim is made, they could even announce that when it is available they will bundle it with MGS4. Imagine that great deal, a PS3 slim with MGS4 and GT5 all in 1 bundle just WOW! But if it does happen it won't be for awhile lol.
    Last edited by CyanCaze; 05-16-2009 at 01:16 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Wink

Sony is going to announce (at E3) an American White Console PS3 cause my friend just bought a white dual shock 3 (american) (copyright 2009) from wal-mart :P and they don't "exist" btw.

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News