Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sony to Launch 3D-ready BDP-S470 Blu-ray Player for $200

Sponsored Links
    Sony is set to launch its first 3D-ready Blu-ray Player model BDP-S470 later this month for $200, which is $100 less than the PlayStation 3 entertainment system.

With a PS3 Firmware update slated for release this summer, it will be able to show 3D video in Full HD 1080p providing you have a 3D capable HDTV to view it in 3D.

As well as being able to display 3D video, the Sony BDP-S470 had play BD, DVD, CD and SACD, and it comes with BD-Live support, Bravia Internet Video, and a USB port that can be used to playback video from an external source.

Other features include 1080p DVD up-scaling, TueHD/DTS-HD Master audio decoding, and it also features support for Sony's free BD Remote App for the iPhone and iPod Touch that will let you control the player with your handheld Apple device.

PS3 3D titles showcased at CES 2010 included MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, LittleBigPlanet, Super Stardust HD, Resistance 2, and Killzone 2.

Sony to Launch 3D-ready BDP-S470 Blu-ray Player for $200

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links

Exclamation

Sponsored Links
    That update could also block hypervisor exploit if it isnt already being made.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Really nice piece of technology...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Well I'm glad I already own a PS3 :P

And to the first reply, to my understanding it's a hardware/software exploit that we have going for the ps3, they can't patch it.

Quote Originally Posted by KRaZE View Post
    Well I'm glad I already own a PS3 :P

And to the first reply, to my understanding it's a hardware/software exploit that we have going for the ps3, they can't patch it.
    Sorry if it's a little OT into this thread but.. IF they can patch it... they will need to dispatch to the world a really cool tool into the update..

Some Useless Information to Bore Everyone With...

It's worth noting though that the 3D part of the PS3 won't be "True" 3D.

The PS3 is native HDMI 1.3 and 1080p max whereas for "True" 3D, you need both HDMI 1.4 (need to push the additional video bandwidth required for 3D) as well as a 3D Ready TV which is effectively a 2160p TV running at 120hz and above (it send 2 x 1080p images, one of each eye to decode using the polarised glasses.

3D on the PS3 will effectively be a 1080i image where the interlaced video is what will polarised to each eye. From what I've seen and read, the 3D effect will be there but at a reduced resolution (720p effectively) and as it'll use interlaced pictures, you won't get the smoothness of the picture as you would progressive. Still, by that reckoning, anyone with at least a HD Ready TV should be able to enjoy 3D to some level. Hopefully we get content sooner rather than later (Go Heavy Rain and Avatar in 3D!)

Tav

this is great news! sony is making big steps in making ps3 the ultimate media center. with its current price and the features that it has, it's one of the best options in the market! if only it had support for external subtitles and other video formats..

Quote Originally Posted by tavueni View Post
    It's worth noting though that the 3D part of the PS3 won't be "True" 3D.

The PS3 is native HDMI 1.3 and 1080p max whereas for "True" 3D, you need both HDMI 1.4 (need to push the additional video bandwidth required for 3D) as well as a 3D Ready TV which is effectively a 2160p TV running at 120hz and above (it send 2 x 1080p images, one of each eye to decode using the polarised glasses.

3D on the PS3 will effectively be a 1080i image where the interlaced video is what will polarised to each eye. From what I've seen and read, the 3D effect will be there but at a reduced resolution (720p effectively) and as it'll use interlaced pictures, you won't get the smoothness of the picture as you would progressive. Still, by that reckoning, anyone with at least a HD Ready TV should be able to enjoy 3D to some level. Hopefully we get content sooner rather than later (Go Heavy Rain and Avatar in 3D!)
    Maybe, maybe not... HDMI is only a spec of the transport, 1.4 specs means only that the 19 pin new cable must transfer a larger amount of data compared to the 19 pin old cable and will have network features bundled.

afaik there is no BD player that can show off a CELL and a RSX (that's a grafic chip after all) and the output resolution could be modified also by a firmware upgrade, if to play games it could only be limited to 1080p doesn't mean that the system couldn't load a device driver able to pull out 2x1080p to render full-3D movies... there is no lack of hardware inside a PS3 and nothing that a GPU BIOS update cannot solve, furthermore the CELL itself can act as a GPU so I don't see why they couldn't boost that feature IF not to sell specific readers like the one in the header of this thread.

PS3 doesn't lack in hardware, the cable itself should be different in quality but not in "quantity" of connections, so... why not if the difference should stand only in the TV set input frequency ?
    Last edited by moneymaker; 02-12-2010 at 02:35 PM

It will be an awesome add-on, but like the guy told me at best buy and i have read on the net, its to early to pre ejaculate over technology that has no substance and will not have any media worthwhile for atleast 5 years. So i just bought a 50 inch plasma instead because he said its not worth it now, wait for the price to drop and decent media to be created.

Nice how the 3D Technology can just be adapted to the PS3 just in the software itself.

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News