Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Is Sony Computer Entertainment Making a Robot Accessory?

Sponsored Links
    Think R.O.B. of the future! Sony Computer Entertainment patented a robot that works with a console like the PS3. The robot is designed with a camera to detect its surroundings and a display which can show images.

A microphone that reacts a user's voice and speaker allows the robot to respond to sound as well. Sony also plans to add a position detection sensor to the robot such as an acceleration sensor, gyro sensor, or possibly a GPS receiver.

To quote: Imagine playing a video game bundled with a tangible robot that rolls around on your carpet. Sounds unbelievable, but Sony Computer Entertainment filed a patent application for just that in June of last year.

The robot is designed with a camera (item 14) to detect its surroundings and a display (18) which can show images. A microphone that reacts a user's voice and speaker allows the robot to respond to sound as well. Sony also plans to add a position detection sensor to the robot such as an acceleration sensor, gyro sensor, or possibly a GPS receiver.

Unfortunately, the patent doesn't give any clues on how the robot can be used for a game. The document details the information processing system which lets the robot respond to commands even though a player's viewpoint is different than the robot's. Remember, if this is going to be used for a game you will be glued to a screen while the robot's camera points at a different direction.

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links

Lightbulb One great use for this.

Sponsored Links
    How about the robot follows me to the bathroom allowing me to not miss a moment of my currently playing movie and therefore not having to pause the movie for the rest of the family currently enjoying it. The same could apply to a game. Now we're talking

Or he could be my morning newspaper from my couch or bed or he could wake me up in the night as my alarm clock because I'm hopelessly addicted to filling my head with information I wouldn't even have to get out of bed.

Maybe he could even fill my head with marketing as I sleep without my knowledge. Then I'd have to smash him into tiny pieces.

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News