Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by OGroteKoning View Post
    BOSS, what do you want to achieve with this?
    My thought with such a block would be to help stimulate Forum activity... as it (kinda) makes the latest posts/threads and "what's going on" easy to follow at a glance via tabs if someone views our Forum main page and is overwhelmed by the sections and can't bother to click in them all for thread updates.

Whether the block would accomplish this or not is the question I suppose... so far it doesn't seem like many regulars here favor it.

Personally speaking, I dislike the idea only because it's "one more thing" to load on the page that the "What's New?" button already accomplishes to a degree... but if enough people find the top block useful then we could still add it.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Thanks BOSS. I loved the subscribed thread option of the past, but since that was changed/limited the "Whats New" tab is my most used tab on the site (I hope it doesn't wear out). We must keep in mind that our site is of a technical nature in a very specific field. The activity on our site is unfortunately governed by the level of hacking in the PS3 world.

The key to getting more activity when the world is scared of what $ony might do to them is to have other stimulatng interaction. We know the scene is not as dead as many think - people are just scared to come out with their accomplishments with hacking. So how do you stimulate visitors and members alike? You have to create activity. So I reckon we must lok at a wider field than just hacking.

HeyManHRU suggested a game review section. That is a kewl idea and we can have discussions about a game in its own thread under a review section. Also, I believe we could start touching on helping each other and comment on any PS3 console related aspects like the best TV's, AV receivers, routers, NAS, media servers and how to setup and maintain these.

So the site is not limited to hacking anymore, but almost anything related to the PS3 experience. This way we are not reinventing the site, we are expanding on an existing theme. I hope what I suggest is not overstepping any boundaries - if I did then I apologise.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I agree with some of the points OGroteKoning raises, but this site has never really just been limited to Hacking - if it were i think we'd actually see a decrease in members anyway (due to the whole sony vs the world issue). While obviously a large number of users debate the hacking scene and we have a number of devs here i don't think everyone see's this as the sole purpose for the site.

I see the site as very much a source of all info's relating to my consoles - ok so a large pull for me is the more technical nature of things, including what can be accomplished with MY hardware that MY hard earned money paid for (!!) but that doesn't necessarily mean hacking

Personally i'd like to see some of the sections you mentioned - i'm particularly interested in the AV capabilities of the PS3 (and other consoles). I'd also like to see a Tutorials forum and easily find be able to find the latest, most relevant info. (Which i think is where this stat's box would be useful - maybe?)

Regardless, it's a great site - just needs to be a little more n00b friendly (IMHO), which would in turn see better quality of posts being made.

PSPSwampy.
    P.s. Boss - don't take any of the above as a negative critisism, i've enjoyed being a member here for many years and while my contributions may fade, i'll continue to enjoy the site regardless

Continued (double post):-
    Feel i should clarify that slightly since there is already a tutorials forum - i mean a more structured tutorial section, e.g. with sections covering different issues, with a single landing page. I don't know - not sure i'm explaining what i've got in mind properly.

The tutorials forum as it is is great, but just seems lacking somehow - no real focus maybe?
    I don't know - just my thoughts.

Maybe i'm going insane (i do have two kids, so anything's possible!)
    Last edited by PSPSwampy; 09-12-2011 at 08:26 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    lets face it when if the 3.60cfw arrives activity will peak again like it did with jb and cfw3.55

that what people want.. otherwise most are too busy, or just don't care i guess

Quote Originally Posted by natepig View Post
    Post quality is more important to me than count. You get +rep for a helpful or interesting post, while getting your post count up is as easy as posting 50 one word posts in the off topic forum.
    at least if people post more, regardless of quality, it might become interesting.. most posts are of reasonable quality anyway as there is nothing to be gained here for having the a lot of posts..

i like pspswampy idea of worst post and funniest and dumbest.. that would draw me in.. LOL

what is the rep anyway.. is it the green bars under the name.. i think a number would be better.. or get rid of it all together.
    Last edited by elser1; 09-12-2011 at 09:42 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by OGroteKoning View Post
    HeyManHRU suggested a game review section. That is a kewl idea and we can have discussions about a game in its own thread under a review section. Also, I believe we could start touching on helping each other and comment on any PS3 console related aspects like the best TV's, AV receivers, routers, NAS, media servers and how to setup and maintain these.
    I agree reviews are always handy to read through, but I wonder how many would actually take the time to play games and write reviews here with little beyond recognition in return.

I imagine most serious video game reviewers already have their own blog or site where they post them, however, we could link to these if they shared their review here as well. If others like the review idea reply below and perhaps we can work out more details for adding them... and +Rep OGroteKoning!

Quote Originally Posted by PSPSwampy View Post
    I'd also like to see a Tutorials forum and easily find be able to find the latest, most relevant info. (Which i think is where this stat's box would be useful - maybe?)

Feel i should clarify that slightly since there is already a tutorials forum - i mean a more structured tutorial section, e.g. with sections covering different issues, with a single landing page. I don't know - not sure i'm explaining what i've got in mind properly.

The tutorials forum as it is is great, but just seems lacking somehow - no real focus maybe
    Thanks for the feedback also PSPSwampy and +Rep! I am trying to think how we could restructure them better, although we do have a Search function available.

The only thing I'd want to avoid if we do retool the Guides area is having subforums for them hehe... I prefer to keep the general Forum layout limited to the sections we have now versus having like 10 guides sections with 2 active and 8 that are generally dead most of the time.

One idea we could consider is having CJPC make a script that lists ALL of the Tutorial threads, and then someone could reorder them on a single categorized 'directory' page, but finding someone to go through them all is the hard part.

The other issue I guess we'd run into is 80% of the guides are probably dated, so while they are great for archival purposes they probably won't help as much with current-day PS3 stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by elser1 View Post
    i like pspswampy idea of worst post and funniest and dumbest.. that would draw me in.. LOL

what is the rep anyway.. is it the green bars under the name.. i think a number would be better.. or get rid of it all together.
    While we could add any tabs we wanted to the Advanced Forum Statistics Block, I am not sure how we would determine (specifically, how vBulletin would determine) which are the funniest or dumbest posts.

It handles, for example, the "hottest" based on views... but short of adding the "Like" system here (which I really don't care for, as it slows down pageloads and prevents people from actually being active through posting what they like vs just clicking a "Like" button) I am not sure.

We had numbers showing for User Reputation back when we used the Forum Activity Mod, but most members just ignored it and so when we upgraded to vB4 we removed it since the green bars are the default Rep system vBulletin uses.

Currently the Rep system is used here to promote users from, for example, Registered to Jr Member and so on... if we removed the Rep system promotions would be based solely on post count which we actually tried in the past with less desirable results (bs posts just to up Rep).

I do appreciate the feedback though elser1 and +Rep... I will keep my eyes open on potential ways we could implement the worst, funniest and dumbest post if we add the Stats block.

Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    I agree reviews are always handy to read through, but I wonder how many would actually take the time to play games and write reviews here with little beyond recognition in return.
    I'm playing video games all the time. I'm still trying to finish the Japanese version of Super Mario Bros. 2. Anyways I for sure will take some time writing a review about a recent game I've played.

I've seen you've updated the icons for the forums, looks nice.
    Last edited by HeyManHRU; 09-13-2011 at 04:06 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by HeyManHRU View Post
    I've seen you've updated the icons for the forums, looks nice.
    Yep, I just added a quickie generic batch for the moment (if you CTRL+F5 on the main Forum page you can see them all) but hopefully at some point soon we can get some nicer Forum status icons.

I imagine most serious video game reviewers already have their own blog or site where they post them, however, we could link to these if they shared their review here as well. If others like the review idea reply below and perhaps we can work out more details for adding them... and +Rep OGroteKoning!
    Yes, I agree with this statement. But like the "Off Topic / Random Stuff" section, one needs to try to see if it will stick. For some it works well to get to know each other and others couldn't care less. You could try and team up with "someone" like Metacritic (I think this is similar to how you treat the trophies section). We can post their review of a game in a thread and any member can put their review under the thread and obviously people can discuss the game in the same thread. You could also link the trophies for that game to the same first "review" post of the game, keeping everything of that game in the one thread. Because the review idea was HeyManHRU's, I would like to hear what his vision was.

If this doesn't take after a trial period, then you can abandon the section.

We had numbers showing for User Reputation back when we used the Forum Activity Mod, but most members just ignored it and so when we upgraded to vB4 we removed it since the green bars are the default Rep system vBulletin uses.

Currently the Rep system is used here to promote users from, for example, Registered to Jr Member and so on... if we removed the Rep system promotions would be based solely on post count which we actually tried in the past with less desirable results (bs posts just to up Rep).
    Hey!!! I constantly monitored the rep points!! Hehehe - It was kind of a competition I had with myself. I didn't want to post if I could not add value - I measured my rep status vs the amount of posts I made - so every post had to give me a a +rep! And I tried to reach 50 with the least number of posts ... although Tidusnake666 won this battle hands down without even competing ... DANG!!! Okay - being in a competition with others who are not even aware of the competition is extremely weird and I plead temporary insanity (since registering ...).

The point I am trying to make is that I didn't post just to say "Cool idea" or "I like that" which would have increased the activity, but at the same time not contribute at all. Now with the (on trial) "Off Topic / Random Stuff" section, I am less infatuated with the ration of rep points vs posts. I enjoy just being active when I feel like it and I feel that more "informal" sections can cause the activity to increase. I'm not saying we should have sections for politics, and law, and religion etc ... It should all be related to the PS3 to maintain justice to the site name!

Before I bore some here to death, one last thought (in this post...)
    If someone Googles anything PS3 related, there must be a PS3News site result in the top 5! That should be a starting point for that person to visit the site and if he likes what he sees, then want to register and become an active member.

PS: thanks for the +rep BOSS ...and here is one right back atcha!!

I agree with OGroteKoning, the Rep system is just fine, I just reckon we should be able to give out reputation more often.

We must be careful for a "free for all", I have seen guys on here repping each other on an extremely frequent basis. A lot of the time it was not warranted.

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News