Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Samsung: Blu-ray will only last 5 more years, certainly not 10

Sponsored Links
    Andy Griffiths, the director of consumer electronics at Samsung UK has revealed a belief that the Blu-ray format will last only for another five years before it is replaced by something else.

He went on to say there is no chance that it will have 10 more years.

To quote: Samsung has said that it sees the Blu-ray format only lasting a further 5 years before it is replaced by another format or technology.

"I think it [Blu-ray] has 5 years left, I certainly wouldn't give it 10", Andy Griffiths, director of consumer electronics at Samsung UK told Pocket-lint in an interview.

Hoping to capitalise before it's too late, Griffiths believes that 2008 is the format's year.

"It's going to be huge", he told Pocket-lint. "We are heavily back-ordered at the moment." More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I know I usually cover myself behind the flag of "this is an opinion" but I cant talk about what anyone other than me thinks. The fact is that as of 2008, most people and dont focus only in one country, but most people I believe considering my own likes/dislikes, like a hard copy.

It has been said since the year 2000 that the future would be downloads and in a way yes, even with todays internet connection speeds toping the 30megas comercially, I still love to go out and buy my hard copy in DVD or Bluray disc. Why? Simple, I can transport it fairly easy without making anything at all, I dont even have to sync my ipod or usb stick or whatever or burn any media. The hard copys are easy to carry around, take from one place to another, and man WE LOVE THEM. 10 years? sure why not, DVDs still sell like hotcakes.

Burnable media and hard copys are like an addiction to us users, we want them.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    i agree on some points that you said but in 10 years blu-ray disc will maybe be like the dvd's today and the new formats will be the blu-ray's today, there will always be burnable media unless if downloading becomes a largely used, very easy and very fast way to get media's on an ipod or burning, maybe one day!i'm guessing that before a new format to beat blu-ray will come out,they will probably send out a double, tripled or any layers at all new blu-ray format and after that... what would be the point on having 100 gb on a single disc ?

i mean music only takes about 5 mb and movies will maybe go up to 50 gb (exaggerating A LOT) and any way a common blu-ray will hold that much stuff. any console maker will probably not make any EXTREMELY good graphics until a very long time.. and the fact that even metal gear 4 could've weighted as much as maybe 20gb more or less, i can't see any game maker needing more space because the blu-ray dosen't provide as much until a long time or else they will probably make a better version of blu-ray.

oh and blu-ray disc aren't 7.5 gb like the picture say's ? i have a double layer dvd 8.5 gb with me.

Quote Originally Posted by xxLindenxx View Post
    i mean music only takes about 5 mb and movies will maybe go up to 50 gb (exaggerating A LOT) and any way a common blu-ray will hold that much stuff. any console maker will probably not make any EXTREMELY good graphics until a very long time.. and the fact that even metal gear 4 could've weighted as much as maybe 20gb more or less, i can't see any game maker needing more space because the blu-ray dosen't provide as much until a long time or else they will probably make a better version of blu-ray.

oh and blu-ray disc aren't 7.5 gb like the picture say's ? i have a double layer dvd 8.5 gb with me.
    Just to correct you there, the blu-ray disk hold more than 50GB, and MGS4 had to be scaled down to fit in a blu-ray because of its uncompressed movies.

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News