Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    That's cool Boss. I know it's much work for you and CJPC, but I think it's worth ! It looks fresher, builds faster and has nice functions.

Sponsored Links

Lightbulb

Sponsored Links
    Another thing we are experimenting with is a Forum sideblock with the latest posts and popular tags... I will leave it up for a little while today so some others can check it out.

This is a stock/non-custom block but we can make any type we want of course, this was thrown together in under 5 minutes (literally) but do Forum members like such a thing (it is collapsible so that if you don't want to see it you can hide it) or should we not keep it, or move it from the left to the right side, etc?

Those interested can check it out here: http://www.ps3news.com/forums/

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Yeah, I really like that new function, it shows me the newest post, thats kind of cool. Pitty, it doesn't update in real time, so that my newest post isn't shown there. But maybe it should be kill the server performance if we set the refresh counter to 5 seconds or so.

Correct, I can set the cache time in minutes... right now it's set to update every 5 since our Forum isn't super active but I could lower it to 1 minute of course. If we really wanted to I am sure CJPC could mod it to update the cache every 30 seconds vs minutes but that may lag the server so not sure if that is the best idea.

I think we could try. If you can set it now to 1 minute, and see that it slows the server hard, we don't need to ask CJPC to mod it and better set the time to 2 minutes or 3. But I think a change to 1 minute should work fine.

OK I will set it to 1 minute for a bit now and see how things go.

What we just need now, is an Javascript which loads the box itself, instead of pressing F5 to see the changes. Is that possible ?

There is a vB Mod for something similar to that which CJPC thought was cool but we haven't tried it yet. I think it may be done via AJAX versus JavaScript, but basically it works for Forum posts too so that if a new reply is posted in a thread while you are viewing it you will see the new reply appear without having to reload the page.

Perhaps we can look into this once all of the less "fun" work is done for the Forums...

Indeed, AJAX is better than Java. It should be possible that the object itself is loading without the user is doing anything. You can watch nice AJAX-Support at the temporaryinbox at spambog.com, that would be very nice, if that could be implemented. But everything to it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by oVERSoLDiER View Post
    Indeed, AJAX is better than Java. It should be possible that the object itself is loading without the user is doing anything. You can watch nice AJAX-Support at the temporaryinbox at spambog.com, that would be very nice, if that could be implemented. But everything to it's time.
    Yeah, as I was reading this thread, I was thinking Ajax - would be very useful to load up the latest post in realtime - but it might be a bit heavy on the server (could do the same thing with new posts in a thread, etc). But, it is a good idea worth looking into, may make for easier and quicker replies!

Sponsored Links
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News