Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Lightbulb PS3 News 2012 Ideas

It may be a bit early, but I'm suggesting this thread now, as I'm afraid that I'll forget ideas

Simply share your ideas/suggestions about this site and what changes you want to happen to PS3News in 2012.

Maybe I'm not completely in authority to do this, but sharing ideas is never a bad thing, after all.

Some suggestions from me:
    • Custom user titles - not for everyone, maybe, but some Seniors may deserve that, it would be a great encouragement for users.
    • "Like" system shouldn't be a substitute for "Rep" system. I suggest that 3 likes converts to 1 rep. Clicking like button is simple and pretty straightforward, "Rep" button is somewhat hidden and not obvious for new users. So I suggest such conversion.
    • Signatures/userbars for experienced members with an option to turn them off
    • Something more, but I've already forgotten... Will share as I remember!

Your suggestions are easily configured on vBulletin, and I like them

Quote Originally Posted by Tidusnake666 View Post
    Custom user titles - mot for everyone, maybe, but some Seniors may deserve that, it would be a great encouragement for users.
    Should be easy enough for senior members but there'd have to be a code of conduct type rule set to stop it being abused.

"Like" system shouldn't be a substitute for "Rep" system. I suggest that 3 likes converts to 1 rep. Clicking like button is simple and pretty straightforward, "Rep" button is somewhat hidden and not obvious for new users. So I suggest such conversion.
    Why not just make the rep button bigger and easier to use and do away with likes or vice versa, there's no need to have 2 buttons cluttering up every post doing the same thing.

Signatures/userbars for experienced members with an option to turn them off
    Again like the custom titles it would really need some strict rules, most sites that use them just get cluttered up with rubbish

We discussed signatures here a while back and most users said it was a bad idea, so I think the boss just let the idea go.

I would really like a 'notification' of sorts when someone replies to me on this site. It's really cumbersome to check back.

I may not be a senior member (ok, well I am, but not as 'senior' as some of the other guys) but I would like to have a custom user title like 'Director Of Chaos' or something.

I like that.

Excuse me uhmmm can we have an integrated pm and messages to the email? maybe a notification link in our setting would be nice,with just one click we can view the messages or pm in our email so we don't have to worry about the purge and most importantly maybe we can avoid misunderstanding...

About custom titles,how bout adding more green bar or modified rather than a custom titles coz i like equal environment

Some quick feedback on the above ideas thus far:
    • Custom user titles - these we could add for higher up UserGroups, for example Member, Sr Member, etc without any issues.
    • "Like" system shouldn't be a substitute for "Rep" system. I suggest that 3 likes converts to 1 rep. - This would need to be coded, meaning if you can find such a thing on vBulletin.org we could give it a try here. However, we still only allow 1 +Rep in 24 hours so that users don't run around +Rep'ing friends or everyone out of boredom (abusing the system) so I am not sure how much change it would really bring forth.
    • Signatures/userbars for experienced members with an option to turn them off - We discussed signatures HERE before as HeyManHRU mentioned, but for 2012 sure we could revisit the idea and possibly add them for higher up UserGroups without any major issues.
    • I would really like a 'notification' of sorts when someone replies to me on this site. It's really cumbersome to check back. - Currently this is done via PMs for subscribed threads... as for an external notification (e-mail, etc) each time someone makes a new post in a thread everyone subscribes to we actually had to remove that due to server limitations (the same reason we disabled showing all the users logged in, it works but slows the server down a ton). I suppose if we slapped up a 'support our site' bar and enough people contributed monthly we could upgrade the server, although we generally prefer people check the site regularly vs only coming when they have a new reply so it's a catch-22 I suppose.

Keep the suggestions coming guys, as we definitely are seeking them for 2012!

Another thing I am (once again) on the fence about for 2012 is whether we should continue reporting normal Sony (PS Blog) type news vs only PS3 hacking/scene news. It adds to our daily workload and few people reply to them, but if enough people still like to read it we will of course keep it going for the new year.

Custom user titles FTW.

Notifications are also good.

About the Sony news... Some of them I find useful. Some not. You can't read my mind nor can I others, so I say let it stay. With the scene news that's a defo YES!

About the Likes equal 1 rep or something we have something like this on my site. We either do a certain amount of likes = 1 rep, or 1 like equals some small number of rep. But anyways you'll be looking at L3 = R in the the same script so maybe divide? R/L3? Get a number per like maybe. But who knows.

As for signatures I like the idea. It brings out creativity. But it can be abused so you could do another user group, like said. Like for example, Boss can put his signature as a PayPal link or advertising the User Cheat or something. It can be used to an advantage, but should be moderated.

Custom User Titles... Tag a script that only allows approved words? And it should only be for Seniors or something of a higher rank.

I know that I repeated what some said, but I'm only agreeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Foo View Post
    About the Likes equal 1 rep or something we have something like this on my site. We either do a certain amount of likes = 1 rep, or 1 like equals some small number of rep. But anyways you'll be looking at L3 = R in the the same script so maybe divide? R/L3? Get a number per like maybe.
    If you could let me know the name of this vB4 plugin/mod, then yes we can probably use it here as well without an issue.

Edit: This is what it was, which is quite large but perhaps we could borrow some needed code from it: dragonbyte-tech.com/vbecommerce.php?do=product&productid=22

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast