Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Lightbulb PS3 NEWS 2011 - Suggestions

Sponsored Links
    Last November we held a Poll on whether we should upgrade to vBulletin 4 or not: [Register or Login to view links]

Since then, we have modified the backend code and remained on vB 3.x although the majority of poll users voted we should Upgrade to vBulletin 4:
    • Upgrade to vBulletin 4 - 480 votes - 44.49%
    • Stay How We Are - 318 votes - 29.47%
    • No Opinion/Preference or Don't Care - 281 votes - 26.04%

With another 5 months passing, we are once again considering moving to vBulletin 4... to put it in the words of another Site Admin I speak with, vBulletin 3 is unfortunately becoming antiquated and most of the vB4 bugs are ironed out.

That said, we are now seeking feedback, input and suggestions from users here on both moving to vBulletin 4 (and more importantly) any changes or additions we can make that would benefit the community and encourage people interact more on the site.

All constructive replies will be +Rep'd as always, so if you have a good idea by all means mention it... even if we don't end up using it you will still be +Rep'd for sharing. Thanks in advance to all who help shape the next PS3 NEWS site revamp!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Go ahead BOSS. I support your decision fully - I love the clean look of our site and if this can remain, then I am all for it. You probably have a bucket load of work to do in order to make the move - good luck with that. I would like to be on the new bulletin first to see what is "auto included" before I voice any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    suggestion: better and more organize news report. Stop reporting 2/3 unrelated news under the same title/heading.

example: http://www.ps3news.com/ps3-hacks-jai...s-is-Released/

another example: http://www.ps3news.com/ps3-hacks-jai...ched-by-kmeaw/

please consider my suggestion carefully.. i spend a few minutes of my time writing this in the hope to improve this site.

thank you.

+Rep to both replies thus far, as for the latter one I agree it would be GREAT to have individual articles for each release, but generally when there isn't enough "substance" on one (for example, a few sentences only) we include it in the existing article from that day versus not mentioning it at all.

As you may or may not be aware, Site News articles are formatted at a few paragraphs (minimum) in length here, and not all releases fill that requirement which is the issue basically. Unfortunately we can't publish Site News articles that are only a sentence or two long, I know some sites do it but that doesn't meet our contextual requirements.

However, if someone who uses all these apps (I don't) writes and submits a separate (detailed) article then we will be happy to promote them to the main page versus combining the smaller ones as we have been.

I remember the poll month ago, I voted for remaining the same, but now, after hearing how much struggle is for mods to move member-submitted news to the front page, I'll probably change my mind and vote for v4.

And also, there should be more gaming news. Despite alot homebrew/piracy reports of x.xx update for one of the apps, we should have more good game coverage.

And finally PS3 News v2011 should keep members' classes / post counts.

You should move to vBulletin 4 Boss. It's pretty neat, and would help with some bugs plaguing this site.

I'm all for it!

I would like to see support for PMs added or a private moderators thread opened to discuss ideas. I think the site is organized well. So not being a web developer I can't really say that I have a preference for updating. What are the advantages of going to v4?

PS3 News should update to vBulletin 4, there's nothing to say, it's better, it looks great, it will be good to everyone.

Thanks for the feedback guys, +Rep x 4.

The posts counts should usually remain unless they were actually removed, but we did remove the Activity Meter a month or so ago and reset the classes based on 2011 activity. Hopefully we won't have to do that again (as we don't plan to readd the Meter) but if/when we upgrade to vB4 it remains to be seen if all the classes will carry through or not.

PM's would come with vB4 so that is welcomed news for some, and other vB4 advantages that stick out are the ability for users to create blogs (few will probably use this though) and also the overall vBulletin 4 layout, functionality, graphics, etc... basically giving the site a fresher overall look versus a more dated vB3 appearance.

Any chance that VB4 will be able to bring back support for topic subscriptions? That would be great!

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News