Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Just remember to back everything up first

You'd be suprised how many people forget!
    (It's usually the people who should know better too! lol)

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Sounds advice indeed, and ya... we won't nuke any of the vB3 stuff once vB4 goes live until a month or so passes with no issues and even then we still have offline backups.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    if want a smaller Image, spoke with me on facebook: "Jacques Goncalves"

The picture has added text with "DEMO"
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

ps3news_render_demo.png  

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Looks nice the new forum, need to get the feeling again.

Forgot to say that I like that you can send PM's now, that I also did like the 6 news articles on top and can you put the edit message time from 2 to 3 minutes? that 1 minute extra is needed some times
    Last edited by Mbb; 04-04-2011 at 11:30 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Mbb View Post
    Looks nice the new forum, need to get the feeling again.

Forgot to say that I like that you can send PM's now, that I also did like the 6 news articles on top and can you put the edit message time from 2 to 3 minutes? that 1 minute extra is needed some times
    Thanks Mbb, it's always nice to hear feedback from Senior Members. I will add the edit time mod to my to-do list, and YES we plan to port the plug-in to vB4 soon that shows the latest articles at the top of the Forum as well.

Banned User
    Not sure what else is in the works for the new forum, but I have a few suggestions.

Tooltip widget - I really like this feature on the VB boards, where you hover your mouse over the topic and it shows you the first few sentences of the thread. Very useful IMO.

Thread post/view counter - Would be nice if we could see how many posts or views there is for a particular thread.

Latest post time format - Not sure what this is called, but it would be nice to have the option to manually choose the time format for who posted last in a thread. Right now it is set for minuets, hours and days. But I would personally prefer to have it give an specific time and date. Cause just saying minuets or hours is very unspecific, especially if you haven't reloaded the page in a while.

Post preview - I know we briefly talked about this in the logo thread, but I just want to reiterate how important this is (at least to me). Post previewing for me is a must, as it lets me view my post with the formats and it's much easier to proof read longer posts than having to constantly scroll in the message editor.

That's it for now

I would also suggest a small "TOP-10 downloads" column on the right of the main page, near where the "Latest trophies" "Latest releases" are.

The tooltip idea we may implement in coming months (it's already on our list) as I saw that also and it would be useful if done properly... the main issue with it is finding the time to set it up and manually add them all. For example, THESE would make excellent tooltips for a start!

We removed the counts in vB4 as they are basically useless (except for bragging rights, which we don't care about) and add more queries to the server which add to the lag (this is sadly why we removed showing the large list of users online also). They also tend to aid spammers in which posts/threads to attack and clue rivals in on which are more popular in our SERPS so they can duplicate said content to lower our page's performance.

The time format output is set globally, so chances are a plug-in to allow setting it on a user-level (CP) basis would be needed although I don't think one exists yet for vB4. This is something we can look into down the road though, once we finish the existing work and add some of the more requested features including 'mobile device' support.

Post preview is on our list to readd, although it will need to be modified so that it appears below (vs above) the new post/reply so that those who don't use it (like myself) don't have to scroll past the preview to submit. I generally proofread my text editor view before submitting, but I definitely understand that others prefer to see a preview post so no worries there.

Finally, a Top 10 downloads block wouldn't be hard to add... it's one of those things that is a nice idea but priority-wise we just want to catch up to other sites first with logo/branding, tapatalk, tweetboards, and all the stuff kiddies these days tend to like.

+Rep to leukotic and Tidusnake666 for the suggestions, and if anyone else has any by all means share them below!

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    The tooltip idea we may implement in coming months (it's already on our list) as I saw that also and it would be useful if done properly... the main issue with it is finding the time to set it up and manually add them all. For example, THESE would make excellent tooltips for a start!
    That would certainly be an interesting way to implement tooltips, so when a user hovers over a word like CFW it will translate for them. How would this look on the forum though? I know other forums that require tons of advertising, have tooltips on keywords that bring up advertisements when your mouse goes over the word, and aside from it being annoying it also clutters up the pages with tons of 'links' and makes things not look so great. If you guys were to add this, would it show a word like 'CFW' as a link or plain text?

However the tooltip I was referring to wasn't that kind of tooltip, the kind I am talking about is when you are on the main forum page and hover your mouse over a forum topic, it will show some of text from the first post. Please see the attached picture for an example of this.

The time format output is set globally, so chances are a plug-in to allow setting it on a user-level (CP) basis would be needed although I don't think one exists yet for vB4. This is something we can look into down the road though, once we finish the existing work and add some of the more requested features including 'mobile device' support.
    I definitely look forward to having an option to change the time format, going from a precise date and time to just showing mins and hours is like going from XP to Windows 7. Where things are intentionally 'dumbed down' to suite the less technically inclined.

Post preview is on our list to readd, although it will need to be modified so that it appears below (vs above) the new post/reply so that those who don't use it (like myself) don't have to scroll past the preview to submit. I generally proofread my text editor view before submitting, but I definitely understand that others prefer to see a preview post so no worries there.
    I don't understand, with VB4 does it force you to preview the post before submitting it? Why not just have the preview as optional like it is for most forums out there?
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

forum-tooltip.jpg  

Ahh, the example in your picture isn't a tooltip but is known as a "thread preview" which we currently have set to off. This is mainly to encourage users to view threads (and hopefully reply while in them) versus just hovering over the few word preview and moving onward. I can't say I have plans to enable it soon, but the possibility is always there in the future.

As for the tooltip idea I was speaking of, they wouldn't be clickable links with a destination page. It would basically be words that when hovered over would show the equivalent of what a title tag does to images when you mouseover them.

Regarding post preview, yes it is a stock feature in vBulletin (from what I know, in both 3 and 4). There is no way to disable it or allow users to turn it on/off when making posts that I am aware of, at least I couldn't find such an option in the ACP. If such a thing existed that would be an acceptable alternative to us removing the preview code itself, but if not the other option I mentioned before may work... we could simply readd it but modify its location to appear below the Post Submit versus above.

If you see (in another Forum using vB) the option to turn it on/off take a screenshot of the location and I will look into this further as that would definitely interest me and make some users happy I'm sure.

Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News