Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

PS2: The Console that Will Not Die; SCPH-90000 on the way

Sponsored Links
    The PlayStation 2 debuted in 2000, March in Japan, October in the US, and November worldwide. The system sported a DVD drive, a first for game consoles, and may have been the key to quick adaptation of the new video format.

Sporting backwards compatibility with the first PlayStation, the system debuted with a gigantic library. Games made specifically for the PS2 have continued to debut since, even continuing after the release of the current generation of systems, including the PS3 from Sony.

Now, two years after the PS3ís debut, Sony is releasing yet another revision of the PS2 in the US, having already released it in the rest of the world. Dubbed the SCPH-90000, the model looks similar to the Slimline model introduced in 2004, but no longer has an external power adapter.

Why release another revision of the hardware? Well, 8 new releases came or are coming in August. 14 are due in September, 15 in October, 13 in November, and 6 more in December. With a constant stream of games like that, there seems to still be a demand. Oh, what a demand there is! According to the latest NPD numbers, over 155 thousand PS2s were sold in the US in July alone, bringing the systemís US total to 42.5 million.

So, the demand is there, and the question becomes not if, but why? Why is a system with lower technology (which of course means lower end graphics) still getting new games and consistent sales? Price is certainly a factor, but the Xbox and Gamecube are considerably cheaper than the PS2. After all, they arenít even sold new anymore and can only be purchased at used gaming retailers. The system is getting new games, but at about half the rate of its new more powerful sibling.

One thing that may be helping the aged system stay alive is the floundering US economy. The difference between $130 (for a new PS2) and $250 (for a Wii or Xbox 360 Arcade) is a huge one for many families in the US. Also, with the PS3 costing no less than $400, parents may feel thatís just too expensive for a toy for their kids.

The other thing that canít be overlooked isnít the new games, but the old ones. There are around 2000 games available for the PlayStation 2, with around 300 of those being in Sonyís budget "Greatest Hits" line. With titles like Final Fantasy X, Lego Star Wars, and SSX 3, along with current or upcoming exclusives like Persona 3 and 4 and Yakuza 2 and still being included on multiplatform titles like Madden and Ghostbusters, the PS2 doesnít seem to be dying anytime soon.

How much life does the system have? Well, Sony wants the PlayStation 3 to last ten years. The PS2 only has about a year and a half to go to reach that decade mark and prove that it can be done. More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Sony should cut the PS2 price down to under $90 to make things more attractive.

Sponsored Links

true

Sponsored Links
    they should but seeing as the system is still in demand they are probably going to do this after there are no more demands or something in the genres..i know my friend bought a new ps2 because his old one couldn't read his new game called ROCK BAND! pretty much every one i know has guitar hero and rock band on the ps2, when the new music genres( and a few other games) appear for the ps3 then you may say goodbye to the ps2.

With the next generation growing strong noone will ever buy a new ps2 for 100+ Bucks, imho its time for a major price cut so i finally can get a new boxed system too.

PS3Newbz
    i love how the ps2 is still getting new titles despite its age... i personally play my phat ps2 (with a TB hdd) more than my ps3... i know some people who still play their NES and dont care about outdated graphics, a fun game is a fun game.

Good to see that there are still some PS2 updates. For me PS2 is definitely the best console out there, I've had so much fun with it that no other console can compare to that. I'm sure it won't be dead for years to come, and I'm sure I'll still be playing some "oldies" by then. :P

Banned User
    Not to bump 2 week old topic but here are pics of the system.
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

071106bs.jpg   071106ds.jpg   071106fs.jpg  

well to be honest, there's so many good games for PS2 still. I know i've still got mine.

hi all, i'm new!

no surprise here. The ps2 is still very popular in 3rd world countries where the 360 and ps3 are still not affordable by any standard.

Quote Originally Posted by pan0k View Post
    Sony should cut the PS2 price down to under $90 to make things more attractive.
    well its 70 € back in germany, thats around 80 bucks ^^

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News