Pioneer develops 400GB Blue Laser Disc

Pioneer has developed an optical disc that can hold up to 400GB of data, easily surpassing previously announced prototypes.

The new disc manages to pack 16 layers, each with a 25GB capacity, into a conventional 12-centimeter diameter optical disc. The new discs are similar to Blu-ray Disc technology and slight changes to the hardware on a Blu-ray drive would allow the new Pioneer discs to be used on one.

Pioneer doesn't have any plans to commercially produce the disc but is looking to work with disc manufacturers that would make it themselves. The technology is about ready to enter commercialization, said Michiko Kadoi, a spokeswoman for Pioneer Corp. in Tokyo.

A one-sided Blu-ray Disc has 25GB of capacity, far less than the Pioneer disc. Currently, dual-layer 50GB discs are the highest capacity discs available commercially. Various companies have worked on higher capacity discs and TDK Corp. previously announced development of a 6-layer disc with 150GB capacity, but that has yet to reach the market.

Getting a clear signal from each recording layer has been a stumbling block for higher capacity discs with more layers, but Pioneer said it has managed to solve this problem by employing technology it developed for DVDs. The new disc has a structure that reduces interference from adjacent layers and so accurate playback is possible from all 16 layers, the company said.

The initial prototype is a read-only disc but the same technology is also applicable to recordable discs. A current 50GB Blu-ray Disc can store about six hours of digital high-definition TV so the higher capacity discs, if commercialized, would be able to expand this to 48 hours.

Pioneer plans to detail the technology at the Joint International Symposium on Optical Memory and Optical Data Storage 2008 that will be held in Hawaii from July 13 to July 17.

Pioneer develops 400GB Blue Laser Disc

More PlayStation 3 News...

Quote Originally Posted by gfather View Post
    unless they make a 400 gb flash or ssd storage im not interested in rom media anymore, you can use them only 1 tie, and after a while you see your room filled with rom media that you dont know what they are.. and they dont work any more
    Are you referring to Write-Once discs? There are numerous medias that offer Re-writable discs

wow, wonder what the write speeds are on those.. how long it would take to burn 400 gigs lol

Quote Originally Posted by asandhu View Post
    wow, wonder what the write speeds are on those.. how long it would take to burn 400 gigs lol
    With those 16x25gb layers i'd guess it would take 15min /layer, so 4 hours on a 6x drive. Would hate to do a coaster halfway lol

Quote Originally Posted by asandhu View Post
    Just what I was thinking... At the same time 400gb discs - awesome alternative to tape to back up you're entire system. DVDs would be a lost more durable! Im all for it... although retail cost?

i would be a happy customer, for sure.

but i don't see the technology jumping from 50gb to 400gb, it's (probably) a larger step than they're willing to take.

i guess first they'll make the consumer invest on a 200gb+ technology (cheaper from them to manufacture) and maybe after that they'll present us the 400gb technology (which by then would be much more cheap to manufacture)

btw, this is only my opinion, off course