Sponsored Links
July 27, 2007 - At the beginning of the year, the IGN PlayStation Team put together our list of our [Register or Login to view links]. Now that the year is half-over, we went back, looked at our lists, reflected on how well some of them wound up turning out and reevaluated our still-coming picks.

After having pined over the remainder of 2007, which as it turns out is a huge year for releases, we've put together our mid-year lists of the games we're most looking forward to. We've now played most of the game's that we're listing and now have a better idea of what should wind up being the best of the best.

Keep in mind that our lists are focused on PlayStation-centric releases, be it on the PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 or PSP. Have a read:

Chris' Post-E3 Most Anticipated Games of 2007

[Register or Login to view links]
Genre: Productivity
Developer: SCE Studios London
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Why?: I'm not excited about the community stuff as much as I am the ability to jump in a play small games. It'll be cool to wonder around and see what new stuff pops in there every now and then, sort of like browsing a mall after having not been there for a year. If the mini-games, movie theaters and those sorts of things work out well, PlayStation Home could be just as good as a time waster as it is a community tool.

Genre: Action
Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
Publisher: Ubisoft
Why?: Ubisoft's assassination title looks like it could be the perfect blend of stealth and action-based gameplay. I've never been one for complete stealth titles, but mix in a healthy dose of action and I'm sold. I love chase sequences, and Assassin's Creed promises them in spades. The control scheme sounds very intuitive and natural, which will hopefully mean that chases will be as varied and all over the place as possible. This one should be awesome.

Genre: Music
Developer: Neversoft
Publisher: RedOctane
Why?: The first two Guitar Hero games are easily my favorite music titles of all time, and the third will hopefully best them both. With a ton of master recordings for authentic tracks, you'll be playing right along side the greatest musicians ever. The Battle Mode sounds sweet, and the new wireless guitar is rad. I'm hoping that Neversoft will be able to translate the music into videogame form as well as Harmonix did, and if so, this one should rock us like a hurricane.

Genre: First-Person Shooter
Developer: Infinity Ward
Publisher: Activision
Why?: Call of Duty 4 is like a mosh pit in your central nervous system. It's likely about as intense as games could possibly be without exploding your brain from sheer overload. The fact that it's a visual marvel is simply icing on the cake. Infinity Ward's move to the modern day was a very smart one, and its online play should be fantastic. Infinity Ward has always impressed me, and I expect nothing less. I'm enlisting on launch day.

Genre: Extreme Sports
Developer: Black Box
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Why?: I used to be a big, big fan of the Tony Hawk franchise. Pro Skater 2 would certainly be in my Top 20 all-time best games list, though its inventiveness died off long ago. EA looks to revive videogame skateboarding with the simply-titled skate, and what I've played so far has been a blast. You really feel like you're performing tricks rather than simply hitting a button and watching an animation, and things like the video editor should go a long way. I can't wait to session for hours on end.

Genre: Action
Developer: Ninja Theory
Why?: Ninja Theory looks like it'll break into the PlayStation 3 with a bang. Dubbed as the videogame answer to a summer blockbuster, Heavenly Sword feels like a mix between God of War and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. How can you go wrong with that combo? The demo is out and we've played a decent chunk of the game so far, and I'm totally sold on it. With cinematics that rival Hollywood productions and a combat system that's as fun as it is deep (which is very), Heavenly Sword looks incredible.

Genre: Racing
Developer: Polyphony Digital
Why?: The Gran Turismo series is perhaps my favorite franchise in all of gaming, right up there with Half-Life and Burnout. Had this been the full Gran Turismo 5, it would have been at the top of my list, but Prologue will hold me over through the holidays. I can't wait to check out the in-car dashboards Polyphony has introduced, and I expect nothing but perfection from the online play. Though it's really only a demo, I'm not sure how many other games will take up more of my time during the holidays.

Genre: First-Person Shooter
Developer: Valve
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Why?: Half-Life 2 is my favorite FPS ever, and Episode One was a nearly-perfect follow-up. Episode 2 looks even better, but that's only a tiny portion of The Orange Box. We've been waiting for years and years to get our hands on Team Fortress 2, which looks like incredible fun, and Portal should be a blast what with its first-person puzzle setup. Give me a pair of glasses, an orange environment suit and a gravity gun and I'm all set.

Genre: Action Adventure
Developer: Rockstar North
Publisher: Rockstar Games
Why?: We finally got to see some real gameplay from Rockstar's latest a couple weeks ago and my very high expectations were reached. The missions seem to be much more natural and more involving, and the city really feels like a living and breathing place. Its more realistic and gritty attitude is something I'm a fan of as well. Rockstar has waited for years to put the IV moniker on a game in the series, and this looks like the perfect reason to finally do so.

Genre: Music
Developer: Harmonix
Publisher: MTV Games
Why?: I've been a huge Guitar Hero fan ever since I first picked up the game, and Rock Band is going to blow the concept out of the water. We had a chance to play it a handful of times at this year's E3, and it was everything I had hoped for. While the guitar peripheral needs some work, the drums are fantastic and will finally be the means that I need to be able to learn to play the real thing. I've already got it pre-ordered and I can't wait to drop $200 or so on it.

Other Games Worth Noting: Mercenaries 2: World in Flames would probably be my #11 pick, having been barely edged out by PlayStation Home. There are a ton of other titles that I'm looking forward to, including the PS3 and PSP SOCOM titles, Ratchet, Uncharted and much more. Unfortunately there's not really anything I'm excited about coming to the PlayStation 2, which at this point seems like a dead platform for hardcore gamers like myself. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted... Still, between the PSP and PlayStation 3 (not to mention the "other" platforms), there's so much stuff to keep me busy that I don't miss it one bit.

Turn the page for Jeff Haynes' picks...

1 [Register or Login to view links] [Register or Login to view links] [Register or Login to view links]

Thanks to [Register or Login to view links] for sharing the news with us, and you can discuss the news HERE!