Nokia is Suing Apple Over Patent Infringements on the iPhone

Nokia has said that it is suing its US rival Apple for infringing patents on mobile phone technology for the iPhone.

Nokia said it had not been compensated for its technology, and accused Apple of "trying to get a free ride on the back of Nokia's innovation".

To quote: The 10 alleged patent infringements involve wireless data, speech coding, security and encryption.

Apple, which did not comment on the news, saw its shares dip slightly,

The breaches applied to all models of the iPhone since its launch in 2007, Nokia added.

Finland's Nokia said that it had agreements with about 40 firms - including most mobile phone handset makers - allowing them to use the firm's technology, but that Apple had not signed an agreement.

"The basic principle in the mobile industry is that those companies who contribute in technology development to establish standards create intellectual property, which others then need to compensate for," said Ilkka Rahnasto, vice president of Legal & Intellectual Property at Nokia.

"Apple is also expected to follow this principle."

He added that during the last two decades, Nokia had invested approximately 40bn euros (£36.2bn; $60bn) on research and development.

Nokia is Suing Apple Over Patent Infringements on the iPhone

More PlayStation 3 News...

Heh - yet again - Cisco sued Apple too over the Iphone name - Apple used it without permission, they ended up making nice - but wow, seems Apple just needs to steal, steal, steal - reminding me of MS a tad!

I think the worst part of this is that nokia earlier this month posted its first quarterly loss in a decade amid falling sales. I wonder if they didn't lose money would they even be suing Apple. I think nokia is just trying to get back the money they lost this quarter. Other then that they could have just worked something out with apple then no law suit would have been filed.

These law suits dont get settled too quickly though. Doubt nokia would win this year for it to affect their quarter

Quote Originally Posted by semitope View Post
    These law suits dont get settled too quickly though. Doubt nokia would win this year for it to affect their quarter
    Is true but then again nokia has a solid case against apple. Even if it takes a while for the law suit to actually be settle nokia will gain the money that they lost due to apple using there patent work.

You can't build a mobile phone without license technology from Nokia and Ericsson (not SonyEricsson).

apparently Nokia is asking apple to pay them 1- 2 % of their Iphone sales which equates almost to 12 dollars for an Iphone.

man that is A LOT! if you ask me.