covered the WODE which is set to revolutionize the Nintendo Wii modification scene.
USB Loaders have their downfalls as they don't boast 100% compatibility and are limited to the WBFS a file system designed for the loaders.
The WODE is a totally hardware based solution that comes with the compatibility and reliability of a modchip - something you can't get with software loaders. Anyway, the WODE Team have just launched a http://www.wodejukebox.com for their upcoming modification.
It doesn't reveal much, but the opening animation is interesting. It seems the stand for the Wii houses a port and the intro shows it using a USB hard drive or an Ethernet card. That totally got my attention.
To quote: WODE will include a Flatmod type mainboard that attaches (solderless) to the Wii drive cable similar to other available chips.
It also comes with it's own vertical stand that harnesses a slave board with built-in LCD, USB, and SD slot. The SD card is used to house the powerful Linux-based WODE software.
WODE is compatible with WII DMS, D2B, D2A, D2C, D2C2, D3, D3-2 boards. The OS is LINUX and allow to manage WIFi connection and many others features, like a Mini Computer.
Here are the specifications for the WODE:
- Play Wii & GC game ISOs direct from USB Mass Storage devices @8X read speed (HDD and FLASH drive)
- Complete Solder free install solution
- Easy to use GUI - LCD & Joystick - NO homebrew software required (no any update of console SO can block this device)
- Region hack, Update blocker, Autoboot.
- Passthrough with FLAT-MOD mode built-in, play your DVD-R Wii & GC backups and Imports @3X read speed
- Powerful ARM9 MCU
- Totally Flexible Linux Kernel
- USB hub support for multiple USB devices connection
- Great File System support - use existing WBFS formatted media or 'drag and drop' ISOs to existing USB devices
Future updates will bring more cool features:
- Disc ripping to WBFS
- USB WiFi & SAMBA streaming
- Torrent & eMule download Client
More PlayStation 3 News