Nintendo: No Reason to Make Wii HD-Compatible at This Time

Nintendo is still insisting that as far as the original Wii is concerned, there is not a significant reason to make it HD compatible.

However, a new Wii may well support HD because HD is common across the world.

To quote: Nintendo president Satoru Iwata recently talked to VentureBeat about the HD upgrade of the Wii and revealed that:

"If we have an opportunity to make a new console, it will probably support HD because it is now common throughout the world. However, as far as the Wii is concerned, we have not found a significant reason to make it HD-compatible at this time."

The executive went on to say that: "What is the significant meaning to the users? I don't think we should do it unless we find that reason. If we decide for other reasons to make new hardware, then HD is one of the things we would naturally add. As for timing, it may be three years from now, five years from now or eight years from now."

More PlayStation 3 News...

What kind of an answer is that. No HD, we don't think their is a reason for it. Their is always a reason for HD.

HD games and hardware cost a lot more to make, and sales figures show that the users want what the wii already offers more.

I have a great reason why they should go to HD and why they should have in the first place.

My Wii looks like shit on my 47" HDTV even with the 480 Component cables. but it looks fine on my ghetto 20" CRT tv. now my self like to actually use my nice things, for example play a game on my nice large tv in the master room in my house. Apparently Nintendo developers don't share the same feelings i do. Oh yah did i mention we are in the 21st century? that could be another reason Nintendo needs to make sure they are moving forward at an attractive pace or they will eventually get left behind.

With that said, the wii has done great thats for sure. but i don't think Nintendo could pull off building such a basic console (hardware wise) next round of console wars, or its going to spell disaster for them.

Nintendo: No Reason to Make Wii HD-Compatible at This Time

"The executive went on to say that: "What is the significant meaning to the users? I don't think we should do it unless we find that reason." Translation..we are enjoying the extraordinary amount of shovel ware on our console and a huge profit with our motion control Gamecube 1.5 why would we compounded that by higher cost doing it in HD when people are stupid enough to swallow what were giving them.

Lightbulb

Maybe they should have put this guy in the land of the lost movie.

What percentage of people actually have HD compatible TV's anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Quaggalad View Post
    What percentage of people actually have HD compatible TV's anyway?
    well ive sold about 150 HDTV's so far this year. and my self own 3. HDTV's are dirt cheap now. and considering the fact that in north America analogue broadcast is now non existent except for a few canadian stations now, everything is going HD.

so you tell me. and im a small time shop. not a box store.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    HD games and hardware cost a lot more to make, and sales figures show that the users want what the wii already offers more.
    It's a shame that so many multi-platform games also come out on Wii because they have a big market share, but they're so crippled due to the limitations of the Wii (and not just HD).

There's definitely potential there to have upgrade the Wii to 360 performance levels with HD and still remain compatible with Wii games. Now that would probably be a killer combination.