Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Confused New consoles to come out in 2011/2012?

Sponsored Links
    Consoles, being the closed and fixed platforms they are, have a finite life. Every five years or so, all competitors drop the existing platforms and introduce a new one, thus resetting the console life cycle.

The Xbox 360 was released in late 2005, with the Wii and PlayStation 3 coming out a year later. Microsoft made it a point to be out the gate first, but the Xbox 360 signaled the (somewhat early) start of a new generation.

2010, being the usual five years after the start of the generation, feels too soon to start all over again. Video game sales are still on the rise, and the current consoles’ prices either haven’t dropped at all (Wii) or are still considered too expensive for the masses (PS3).

All signs are pointing to this current console generation being one with a longer life bar. In fact, Ubisoft is anticipating the next generation machines sometime in 2011 or 2012.

The fact that developers are still extracting more power out of the current platform shows that there isn’t yet a demand for more headroom. Furthermore, the rising costs of producing engines and assets for a modern game would only be made even more severe on a completely new platform.

Ubisoft knows that the next generation will require even more manpower, and is already looking at possible mergers for when the time comes.

"We want to take advantage of a company that could bring more technology to us, or new brands," said CEO Yves Guillemot to GamesIndustry. "So we have now enough to help us to grow the company for not only next year but to get ready for the coming of the next generation consoles that are probably going to happen 2011, 2012.”

So between now and 2012, Microsoft will hopefully have fixed all reliability problems; Sony will have dropped the PS3 price to Xbox 360 levels; and Nintendo will have sold at least one Wii to everyone on the planet.

Source: [Register or Login to view links]

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I know the next-gen Wii is slated for 2011 and I heard a new Microsoft console may arrive in 2011/2012 also so this definitely seems plausible, although last I read Sony still states a PS4 isn't coming in the near future but two out of three isn't too bad for gamers I guess.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Yeah, I heard Nintendo's new console is going to be called the Pro NES (Pro Nintendo Entertainment System). I hope it steps up to its name.

There are also some rumors going around that Sega is going to release a new console named the "Dreamcast 2".

I highly doubt sega will make a console any time soon though seeing how the Dreamcast didn't do so well.

New ninty console is slated for a 2012 release. it's already well into 2011 now but i wouldn't expect to see any new Microsoft or Sony hardware until 2013 especially with the relatively recent launch of Kinect and move hardware. But with e3 next month you'd never know for sure, it's just highly unlikely.

Microsoft and Sony have also said both systems are working towards a 10 year life-cycle which again points to there being another few years before we see any new hardware. I don't think Sega will be bringing out a console anytime soon given their most important IP's are now appearing on other platforms.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyManHRU View Post
    Pro NES (Pro Nintendo Entertainment System)
    Lol I think someone is having you on, looks more like a joke to me. We've had the NES, and SNES so I doubt we'll get the PNES for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by barrybarryk; 05-15-2011 at 11:03 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Some kid named "ChampChong" on YT was talking about it, he's got a decent amount of subscribers so he could be reliable.

Say "PNES" (like "Pea Ness) out loud buddy.

PNES??? are you serious?? i already have it... but its not wireless though...

Slim or Fat?

Banned User
    PNES, LOL! Could you just imagine the outcry from parents/news about Nintendo selling a console for kids with the acronym PNES.

Just imagine this situation, a kid gets home from school and yells out to his mother "I'm going over to Jimmy's so we can play with his PNES"

LOL indeed, that's as bad as asking him to help his uncle Jack off the roof.

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News