Netflix is Officially Confirmed to Hit the Nintendo Wii This Spring

Update: NetFlix has finally shipping out the instant streaming discs for Wii owners. In order to request the disc, you have to log onto the official NetFlix Web site.

After many rumors, today the http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/13/technology/companies/13netflix.html has officially confirmed that online movie rental service Netflix will be expanding to the Nintendo Wii console this Spring.

Considering the Wii's small internal memory, it should come as no surprise that this service will require an http://www.netflix.com/InstantStreamingDisc?device=Wii in the Wii each time someone wants to watch a movie, just like the PS3.

But while it's speculated that the PS3 will be getting an onboard solution to this problem, the same shouldn't be expected for Nintendo's console.

To quote: "The real winner in this? Netflix, of course. The online rental company has become quite ubiquitous these days. Even now I'm sure that a strong majority of our readership has a little red envelope either ready to be watched or sealed and ready for the long journey back home to the nearest Netflix shipping center.

But those who get the most out of their Netflix subscriptions know the biggest bang for your buck is in the streaming content. Well add the Wii now to Netflix's list of devices that deliver the streaming content directly to your television."

Netflix is Officially Confirmed to Hit the Nintendo Wii This Spring

More PlayStation 3 News...

I'm not too clued up on the wii, but couldnt a non disc based solution be to add a wii channel for netflix? I'm sure there will be a homebrew way of not needing the disc but there must be a simple legit way as well
    time wil tell

i'm pretty sure there will be a channel eventually. i think it is because ms has a contract with netflix. ps3 needs a disc too for now. i'll use it on my ps3 because wiis aren't hd.

Quite right, will HD content be available on the Wii?

i doubt that hd content would be available on the wii because there is no hdmi output for the wii, so you would be watching a 1080 film in standard def

Quote Originally Posted by saviour07 View Post
    i doubt that hd content would be available on the wii because there is no hdmi output for the wii, so you would be watching a 1080 film in standard def
    i see your point and your right but the way i see it.. the wii is the family console and the console for everyone and that way the get have this and work with it ... if someone wants the 1080p and has the tv to play it... they would have other ways of getting there media.. the wii is that thing for everyone else.