Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Modern Warfare 2 Co-op Dropped as it 'Ruined the Experience'

In a recent interview with VG247.com (linked above), it was revealed that the original build of Modern Warfare 2 had a co-op campaign mode.

Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling briefly commented about it along with detailing a "substitute" for the co-op mode, Spec Ops mode.

To quote from the interview: "We did it early on; that's what Spec Ops started out as, as co-op through story," said Bowling when asked why Campaign co-op didn't make the final game.

"But it really broke the cinematic experience, took the immersion out of it, out of the story and the pacing and everything we'd spent so long crafting.

It just ruined the experience we were aiming for, so we took it out, kept the single-player for that one player intact and polished it."

Modern Warfare 2 Co-op Dropped as it 'Ruined the Experience'

More PlayStation 3 News...

Big Grin

Ha! And they thought they could outdo Killzone2!!

Quote Originally Posted by sharks View Post
    Ha! And they thought they could outdo Killzone2!!
    Well I don't know bout Killzone as I haven't played it yet, but most in games I've played the coop tends to just feel tacked on. World at war was like this when cinematics happened.

But if they make an all new story for the coop based on more than just the one playable character then that's more incentive to play through that mode.

Smile

I like the photo above.. lol.. its from CoD 4 isn't it?
    Well I don't know bout Killzone as I haven't played it yet, but most in games I've played the coop tends to just feel tacked on. World at war was like this when cinematics happened.

But if they make an all new story for the coop based on more than just the one playable character then that's more incentive to play through that mode.
    damn right u are man.. The co-op story would be a different story from the single player.. It will be kickass.. tho writing up a story aint that easy.. with all those graphics, voice overs, script writing and etc.

Having different stories (coop/single) somehow intertwined? its been done, look at resistance 2, it was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by kale24 View Post
    Having different stories (coop/single) somehow intertwined? its been done, look at resistance 2, it was amazing.
    Yea but the difference is that Resistance has to work with one system that has few limits. The 360 hinders what can be in the game due to the xbox live and the hd-dvd so it isnt the same and As long as the online still kicks ass it will be good

I'll be waiting for those comments from fanboys (or haters, dunno how to call them ) that spammed stuff like "Killzone 2: no co-op = fail" and "Killzone 2 is overrated, because it has no co-op" and praised COD for it instead back then.

The 360 hinders what can be in the game due to the xbox live and the hd-dvd so it isnt the same and As long as the online still kicks ass it will be good
    am sorry but what the hell has Xbox live got to do with CO-OP if anything it would be better on the xbox also it has nothing to do with the media its on as all xbox 360 games to date have not used the full 8+GBs of space so typical fanboys putting down a game based on there own hypocritical thoughts.

most likely the reason it was dropped was because as they stated it took away the experience we were aiming for but also they may not have had time to write a new plot and story for CO-OP they do have time limmits to work by and since MP is now the big thing they would have wanted to spend more time on this side.

also if they did release it with a half arsed CO-OP no dough you would be in here moaning that its crap and why did they put it in.

at the end of the day this game is going to rock in SP and in MP as long as the hackers stay out.
    Last edited by Rocky5; 10-16-2009 at 02:11 PM

coop

i read that they didnt put the co-op in because dvd9 cant hold it they would had to have 2 disc. they didnt want that so they drop co-op

cod has always been highly scripted. Would be weird with 2 players I think. Though the could make it work.... meh... the real reason might never come out. This is activision we are talking about. Maybe they are saving it for mw3 (milk wagon 3.... )
    Last edited by semitope; 10-17-2009 at 12:56 AM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast