Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Microsoft: There is No Need to Launch a New XBox 360 Console

Sponsored Links
    Xbox Product Management Senior Director David Hufford believes that Natal will give new life to the Xbox 360, and that there is no need to launch a new console.

To quote from a recent interview with [Register or Login to view links]: "I think it's important to say that the Xbox 360 is the console of the long future for us.

There is no need to launch a new console, because we're able to give this console new life either with software upgrades or hardware upgrades like Project Natal," said David Hufford, senior director of Xbox product management in a briefing at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. "The Xbox 360 was designed for a long life, and I don't even know if we're at the midpoint yet."

This would mean that the Xbox 360 can survive a 10 year life span? Feel free to comment below!

Microsoft: There is No Need to Launch a New XBox 360 Console

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I hesitantly approved this since you took the time to submit it hehe. For future reference though, unless the article is from the last day or two tops I normally wouldn't approve it unless it was PS3 homebrew news we missed.

This one actually appeared on most mainstream media sites 4-5 days ago... but at least we now know Microsoft's stance, eh?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I haven't heard of this yet. Sounds like xbox is in it for the long haul.

They may be waiting to see if Sony makes a move first.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Obviously people at Microsoft realized they made a big mistake. They announced Natal way too soon. They wanted to get a shoot at Sony at E3. But Sony didn't have much to offer.

Anyways I guess people at MS were not quite sure if to develop Natal for XBOX360 or the next gen. And that is why we hear so much discussion about this lately. People at MS were not sure themselves and they accidently carried it out on the people.

Quote Originally Posted by Nairb View Post
    I haven't heard of this yet. Sounds like xbox is in it for the long haul.

They may be waiting to see if Sony makes a move first.
    Current generation consoles, aka the ps3, 360(not the wii) really could stay in the market for a lot longer than previously thought. Before this generation we had the ps2 and xbox which didnt have the online capabilities drawn like they are today. Firmware updates can happen anytime any moment and bring lots of new functionality to the consoles that previous generations didnt have.

Take as an example the ps2 the extra functionality was limited and mostly done by hardware like the lan adapter to play online or external HDD. The Xbox had an upper hand with this because it had an HDD built in and lan too but needed the HD upgrade. Now the current generations have their marketplace and playstation store right there to download applications and what not. I really think we have great machines right now that could be here for a couple of years with only hardware upgrades and not a complete consoles update.

This practice I believe is what MS and Sony may be looking for because whenever they bring a new console they loose money, developers are running in circles and costumers take their time to upgrade. With a fully deployed console like the 360 and ps3 MS and Sony just need to throw in DLC and games to make their profit. MS even has the gold subscription for online play and many features. So its on their best interest to expand to markets they dont have right now like GIRLS.

GIRLS are the most powerful consumers on earth, they buy without remorse, they spend and dont hesitate like a guy would. My girl goes out and buys whatever she likes, the price she wants and I dont say a damn thing to her, because thats the way girls go. Nintendo has proven that the Female market and casual market is even bigger than the hard core gaming plus they hook up a lot of new people into gaming this way. So yeah I dont see the current consoles going no where soon.

Cheers.
    Last edited by adrianc1982; 01-13-2010 at 04:06 PM

Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    I hesitantly approved this since you took the time to submit it hehe. For future reference though, unless the article is from the last day or two tops I normally wouldn't approve it unless it was PS3 homebrew news we missed.

This one actually appeared on most mainstream media sites 4-5 days ago... but at least we now know Microsoft's stance, eh?
    Oh, sorry, I've missed it few days ago and now didn't pay attention to the date, oh well, anyways, thanks for approving, I've had some free time to dig some info to help you posting the news and help people stay on top.

As for me, PS3News is not only THE ONLY and THE BEST site for PS3 hacks/homebrew, it's also #1 site for the very interesting news on different consoles/games/hacks.

Cheers

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tidusnake666 View Post
    I've had some free time to dig some info to help you posting the news and help people stay on top.
    Believe me, it's much appreciated... and I take the time to +Rep all approved submissions as well.

I have a Super Nintendo that works, a Sega CD, Dream Cast, a PlayStation 1, a PlayStation 2, a Sega CD, PSP 2000, PSP Go, a Turbografix 16 and a PlayStation 3 that work very well until the day of today, but my XBOX 360... garbage burned... only a year of use and this burned.

I think Microsoft should leave the manufacturing of consoles to the experts (Sony, Nintendo.. you know) because I will never buy another microsoft console... lost my money, my time wasted, all that to have an XBOX 360 stepping on my papers... haha what a piece of crap !

Quote Originally Posted by adrianc1982 View Post
    Current generation consoles, aka the ps3, 360(not the wii) really could stay in the market for a lot longer than previously thought.
    I believe it's not only the upgrades you mentioned and the online play, but also take a look at the technological standings. We now have high definition video gaming, and yes there are higher definitions than 1080p, but it's sufficient enough for now until another breakthrough in the video gaming industry.

I believe now they will milk these systems with minor tweaks and upgrades, ie. motion sensing, 3D, interactivity, etc. I see no reason for Sony to release the PS4 too soon, but then again, I may be missing something that has developed. I wouldn't mind waiting for the PS4, so long as it would provide a huge step up from the PS3, both in gaming capabilities, diversity, and technological utilization. Just my opinion of course!

I agree that the ps3 can handle a 10year life cycle but the 360? it's been 5years and although the online community there is thriving, the gaming community as a whole is diminishing

It's capabilities are limited to keep it going for another 5 years and i dont just mean rrod, im thinkin in terms of its actual limitations, such as HD, wireless, hdd space, but most of all... disc size! If ms really want to continue with the 360 for another 5 years they have to seriously think about the media they use and dvd9 in 2012-15 just wont cut it!

ff13 is the perfect example, 1 BD disc to 5 or 6 DVD9... if that kind of trend continues then ms are in serious trouble
    sony could be nice and licence out an external BD player add on for 360's but can the xbox's hardware handle it?

More importantly, would sony be willing to give its competitor an even playing field that late in the game? my realistic opinion of the 360 lifecycle is to bow out in 2 years (max) and release new hardware

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News