Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Microsoft Releases Windows 7 Anti-piracy Update (KB971033)

When you are installing updates over the next week or so be aware that Microsoft has finally released their anti-piracy update (KB971033) which can cause issues for many Windows 7 users, even those who got their copy of Windows 7 legitimately.

To quote: "For those of you who have a pirated copy of Windows 7 or have bought your computer from Dell, Best Buy or Gateway where Windows 7 was pre-installed you may want to stay away from this update.

While it isn't supposed to make your operating system unusable, it will keep asking you to pay for it and will also make your wallpaper a boring blank solid color.

So before you decide to just install all of your updates when you shut down your computer make sure you check to make sure the file isn't downloaded and ready to install. This is of course if you did not install the operating system yourself or pirated it."

More PlayStation 3 News...

I'm still on XP Pro myself, but this is good to know so props for the heads-up Starlight!

Chances are if it isn't done yet, someone will release a patch or bypass method soon for PCs that already have this installed on them.

If you go to Windows Update, you'll notice that KB971033 isn't automatically checked (selected) for install.

However, on a junker laptop I have, I noticed that it was all of a sudden giving me the whole illegitimate copy warning asking me to activate. That's with Windows Update turned off. Went ahead and got all the updates, except KB971033 and ran Hazar fix and is working like a charm.

*Anyone know if its a background service running that would check the activation without going to Windows Update? Through services.msc?
    +Props to Starlight for sharing the news
    Last edited by red8316; 02-25-2010 at 12:24 AM Reason: Additional question/comment

Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    Chances are if it isn't done yet, someone will release a patch or bypass method soon for PCs that already have this installed on them.
    It's already out there.

I'm not sure if i can post a link to the file. but anyway, contact me privately if you want the file or it's name.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by y2kkingboy View Post
    It's already out there.

I'm not sure if i can post a link to the file. but anyway, contact me privately if you want the file or it's name.
    Ha! Well that didn't take long then... +Rep.

I'm OK with you posting the name of the file here, then if anyone wants to find it they can just Google it up.

Here is the name of one that works great Vista7 Slic Ldr v2.3.7

well I'm not sure when was it was released or if it is for this update. but it's an answer for it for sure. I've tested it already.

It's called: RemoveWat (there is another release called ChewWat. It's supposed to do the same thing. but I have not tested it. so no guarantee.

and thanks for the +Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    i believe i've tried all the loaders out there. none of them have worked for me, and since they are all 2009 i think Microsoft put them into their consideration. RemoveWat actually removes the whole activation thing so you don need to activate.
    Last edited by y2kkingboy; 02-25-2010 at 12:45 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

No i have the KB971033 install on a windows 7 and it is still genuine and even passes their validation test you get online to download and see if Win7 is genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by y2kkingboy View Post
    It's called: RemoveWat
    Thanks to both of you. I've been using Hazars old Beta 1 activator. I'll check both of these out.

yah it was like this for me for about a day or so. but all of the sudden i got the message saying that it is pirated, a black background with the note of not being a genuine windows in the down right corner and the annoying reminders when you boot your windows. so I hope it'll work for you. but expect it any second.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast