Mario Party 8 Pulled in UK for Offensive Term

Term that derailed Mind Quiz strikes again.

In an odd and rather familiar bit of news, Nintendo has recalled all copies of the just-released Mario Party 8 in the United Kingdom due to the games use of a term considered offensive to disabled persons.

According to CVG, Kamek the blue wizard utters the following phrase during the game: "Magikoopa magic! Turn the train spastic! Make this ticket tragic!" Intrepid observers will notice that this is the same term that forced Ubisoft to pull Mind Quiz: Your Brain Coach off of UK store shelves just weeks ago.

A statement posted on the official Nintendo Europe website on Friday reads: "Unfortunately we have discovered that a small number of games contain the wrong version of the disk due to an assembly error. We have therefore decided to recall all copies of the game from UK retailers so that this mistake can be corrected."

Mario Party 8 for the Wii had just hit the UK on Friday, but now is being retooled to remove the offending phrase. A new release date is expected to be announced in the near future.

Umm whats wrong with the word "spastic"?

Im not dissabled or anything, - but I agree.. - Spastic is an offensive word.

Basically, i would be offended to be called a spatic. - I hope this in it self doesnt offend anyone with dissabilities that regards themselfs as a spastic.

Spastic is a strange one, - it was only like 5 years ago, in the Uk there was a spastic society charity, - but these days its considered offensive.

I still don't understand where it is offensive. Maybe it's because I am not disabled. Isn't the whole sentence "Turn the train spastic" meaning changing the train to "shaking" kinda state? It doesn't refer to people at all. Maybe I am not sensitive enough and all. Feel free to explain to me why it is offensive...

Well for those who are not british, you may not understand but i have 3 disabled children and find it an offensive word, in this country there is sometimes too much political correctness, but what is deamed ok in one persons eyes may not be in another. It's only like in the USA Fanny is your bottom but here in the UK it's something completely different.

What you have to consider is that the Wii is a younger persons Games Console and if a child from the UK is playing on this and here's this phrase and repeats this he/she would probably get into trouble, What amazes me is that in todays age you would think that big corperatrions such as nintendo would make sure these things don't happen in the 1st place.