Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Poll Keep Member News Area or Post Directly in PS3 Forums?

Sponsored Links
    Hi guys! After reviewing the submissions from the last few months here most people tend to post directly in the PS3 Forums versus starting a thread in the 'Member News' area... and when posts are started in this section they generally do not receive many replies until they are mainpaged.

That said, we are considering removing the Member News area since we are now able to promote posts made directly in the PS3 Forums to the main page.

Does anyone have feedback on this before we move forward and remove the Member News area?

From an Administrative view here are my thoughts:

1) Few people even use this section, so removing it doesn't seem like it would be a giant loss.
    2) Those who do use this section can still post their news in the PS3 Forums, and any that the Staff deem newsworthy will be promoted to the main page as always.
    3) Removing it would mean the PS3 Forums would be on "top" versus scrolling past the Member News area all the time.
    4) Although most of the posts are automatically flagged to the moderation queue, spammers tend to abuse/misuse this section more than any others so removing it would mean less daily cleanup.
    5) We could replace the 'Submit News' button at the top of each page with something more useful to users, if you have any ideas feel free to share them below.

Thanks and I will +Rep all useful feedback!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I'd say Post Directly in PS3 Forums

Banned User
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Sounds like direct posting to the PS3 forums would make more sense, just as long as each newsworthy post gets "cleaned up" (for consistency purposes) before main-paging. We'll see how it goes if you choose this route, because if there is a ton of non mainpage stuff (that didn't make the cut) it may clutter the forums a bit, but it may also help boost community participation since this place would become more like a real forum (where people generally post whatever they want for conversation purposes). And if it's good enough, it will be promoted.

Worth a try IMO. And I hope everybody had a great 4th of July, I know I did! 2 liter + 2-1/2 Piccolo Petes = Win.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    i'd say do what makes it easiest for the mods.. i can also say i find it hard to post news as you need all the links and things, its not user friendly for 1st timers.. but that's the way the vbulletin is. i would like a page of all new threads, if there isn't already.

as a frequent user i have the mainpage news shortcut on my desktop and that's what i check on and the last few post area on the right to see if there's anything new to see or if i can help someone.. sometimes i go to the forums page and check about repos and cfw etc..
    thanks for the work yous put in.. i for 1 appreciate it immensely.

Yep, and Happy 4th also guys... +Rep so far to you both!

PS: +Rep to elser1 for the feedback too, we replied at the same time! You can view the new threads/posts from the last 24h using the "What's New?" button also, but in time we could add a Forum plug-in for it if people want it too.

Quote Originally Posted by leukotic View Post
    Sounds like direct posting to the PS3 forums would make more sense, just as long as each newsworthy post gets "cleaned up" (for consistency purposes) before main-paging. We'll see how it goes if you choose this route, because if there is a ton of non mainpage stuff (that didn't make the cut) it may clutter the forums a bit, but it may also help boost community participation since this place would become more like a real forum (where people generally post whatever they want for conversation purposes). And if it's good enough, it will be promoted.

Worth a try IMO. And I hope everybody had a great 4th of July, I know I did! 2 liter + 2-1/2 Piccolo Petes = Win.
    and what he said.. LOL +rep from me to for putting it into words better than me.
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    Yep, and Happy 4th also guys... +Rep so far to you both!
    happy 4th of july to everyone also.. we don't have that in australia, well my aunty does have a big party but shes american.. LOL
    Last edited by elser1; 07-05-2011 at 02:38 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Well that would work fine, i have submitted 2 news in members section area, non has been brought up they just disappear and never heard of kinda. So IMO yes that would be nice, tho there will probably be some posting in wrong section etc but hey that's whats mods are for ^^

Keep up the good work.

Seems like you already have the answer to the question boss. Seems like a good idea from all the perspectives; people can add [NEWS]TOPIC to their threads if they think its news worthy and mods can find it faster. Since all posts are moderated and a moderator doesn't think [NEWS] thread is actually worth the tag he/she can remove it or leave it..

Other users can just post whatever they want and if it gets promoted good.. Sorry for my poor language today, I'm really tired.

I would like to be able to post directly in the forums so that I can direct my questions or interests to the people most likely to respond. Obviously, at other times there will be times when a general question will not be of much interest to many and for this reason posting transferring it to the main page might get more hits.

No disrespect, but the main page background looks a little busy to my tired eyes. I'd like to see that part a little easier to read. All of the items look like front page news. By reducing the font it could help have more real estate on the screen, navigate easier (being able to see the bigger picture), and generally make it faster to scan the news. It could be a real treasure when looking for the right information at your fingertips... just my 2 cents worth. Keep up the great work.! You obviously care about this site and want to improve it.

I think posting directly is a good idea. That said, they would have to be checked for correct grammar and spelling to keep the high standards which this site tends to keep.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News