Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Hybrid Blu-ray / DVD Disc Announced by Infinity Storage Media

Sponsored Links
    A company called [Register or Login to view links] has released the first ever Hybrid and Blu-ray and DVD disc in Japan.

The new media has capacity of 33.5GB and is compatible with all existing DVD and Blu-ray players. Obviously, the major benefit of this is that you can play it on either your DVD or Blu-ray player.

To quote: Great news for those who have both Blu-ray and DVDs in the house; Infinity Storage Media has released the first hybrid Blu-ray and DVD disc in Japan.

The new media has a total storage capacity of 33.5GB and is compatible with existing DVD and Blu-ray players. The biggest advantage of the new media is backward compatibility - you can play it on your DVD or Blu-ray player.

How does it work? Based on JVC's 2004 Blu-ray/DVD combo disc technology, Infinity has layered one format on top of the other on the same side of the disc, making it possible for the lasers to penetrate to the desired depth and read the required information.

The Blu-ray makes up the top layer (25GB) with two more layers beneath that make up the DVD layers (8.5GB). Separated by a semi reflective film, the blue laser accesses the top layer and bounces off the DVD layers, while the red laser penetrate the various layers to get to the DVD information underneath.

The company claims that it has achieved compatibility with 99 percent of tests made on 64 Blu-ray and DVD players and conforms to the Blu-ray Disc specifications released by the [Register or Login to view links]. More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    The good news could very well be overwhelming acceptance for all those of you who own XBOX 360 consoles or Wii, as the new Hybrid discs are compatible up to 99%, but i'm sure that once Microsoft and other major corporations dig into this new surging technology, the tests will be made prior to assure a complete 100% compatibility with all its console's dvd readers.

This would lead to a very different case scenario on the lifetimes on both of these consoles (minus the PS3, as it already has the blu-ray player, where as both XBOX360 and Wii have normal dvd readers). Microsoft's console was planned to end its life cycle in 4-5 years maximum, and i think with this piece of new technology, they could warrant the quality of their games on their current consoles for much longer than they have anticipated, had they stuck the traditional 8.5GB dual layer DVD discs.

This could also spell a better new year for all of us movie fans, who do not indulge into gaming. Our current DVD players would allow more content via more space on the hybrid discs. Bravo Infinity!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Sorry sharks, the XBox (and any other standard DVD reader) will only be able to access the 8.5GB layers, so there won't be any more space available to them on these disks. They're just for allowing both formats on one disk.

Why don't Bluray film disks come with the DVD version free in the box - surely that would be cheaper to produce?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    My question is whats the point? High quality DVD's hold 10GB if I'm not mistaken. And high quality Blu-rays hold 400GB. Since the PS3 can play Dvd's and DVD players are only 20 dollars. There is no point in making a disc that can play on both players.

Booooooo !! Big no- go! Bluray is indeed capable of much more. Also a Bluray disc is much stronger than a DVD! Ever try to make a scratch on your Bluray ?? (look on Youtube for movies!)

I think I finally figured out the genus of their invention. Instead of having separate discs like 1 Blu-ray costing 30 dollars; and one DVD costing 20 dollars. Now they can screw you over in the end and make them together costing a whopping 50 dollars! So encase you don't own a Blu-ray player. now you can pay for the cost of movies if you did have one... Brilliant! Now we can give even more money to the movie companies...

ha ha i agree with cyan, but here's a good questions. what do you get when you cross both of those media ? Do you get blue-Ray quality or DVD quality or a mix of both ?

Thumbs Down :|

It's just a ripoff. It costs more, and really does nothing useful. If you want your dvd's to resist more, use a protective layer ! I don't think that many people have blu-ray players, and even if they had, simply buy a blu-ray disc ! Useless..

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News