Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Has the PS3 Already Won the Exclusive Battle Against XBox 360?

Sponsored Links
    Early in this generation, those who disliked Sony and had little to no faith in the PlayStation 3, derided the company for losing third-party exclusives.

Along with complaints of an exorbitant price and a typically mediocre launch software lineup, this was one of those legitimate complaints that most avid PlayStation followers simply didn't want to acknowledge.

It was true: Sony lost Grand Theft Auto, Devil May Cry, and most recently, Final Fantasy. ...and yet, here we sit, less than two and a half years later, and it seems as if the PS3 has - by far and away - the best and most promising exclusive lineup of software.

Third-party exclusivity is just about dead and buried (even timed exclusivity will soon die out as the gap between the PS3 and 360 continues to narrow), so it really all comes down to first- and second-party projects.

Now, we all have to remember that top exclusive titles often are system sellers; it's a matter of simple logic, right? If you want to play Killzone 2, you need a PS3. If you want to play Gears of War 2, you need a Xbox 360. When MGS4 launched, there was a huge PS3 sales spike. When Gears 2 launched, there was a huge 360 sales spike.

Therefore, there's no doubt that exclusives will continue to play a very large role in the hardware sales success of both competing companies. And as far as I can tell, Sony may have this one sewn up already:

- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
    - God of War III
    - Killzone 2
    - LittleBigPlanet
    - Resistance: Fall of Man
    - Resistance 2
    - Warhawk
    - Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
    - Heavenly Sword
    - Folklore
    - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
    - Gran Turismo 5: Prologue
    - Gran Turismo 5
    - InFamous
    - Heavy Rain
    - Final Fantasy Versus XIII
    - MotorStorm
    - MotorStorm: Pacific Rift
    - White Knight Chronicles
    - Valkyria Chronicles
    - MAG
    - Wipeout HD
    - Flower

And I just took them all off the top of my head; I'm sure there are more.

As far as I can tell, the Xbox 360 has the Gears series and that's about it. There are a few IPs I'm looking forward to this year (like Alan Wake), and I'm picking up Star Ocean: The Last Hope tomorrow, but comparing these to the exclusive lineup on the PS3 seems a little silly. Now, just to clarify, I am not saying the PS3 is the superior machine; this topic only focuses on exclusive titles.

Secondly, as I do own a 360, I'd be very interested to learn of more 360 exclusives coming up that look good; I want to play good games. And I kinda like the idea of exclusives. I like the idea that I have to own a particular console to play a certain game; it may sound ridiculous, but it's true to some extent.

So if anybody wants to enlighten me as to the 360 exclusives coming up that will act as competition to the PS3's lineup - games mentioned above - I'm all ears. Obviously, raving fanboy rants won't be tolerated and we'll get rid of you super crazy fast.

The point is, I just find it a little ironic that everyone was laughing at how Sony was losing exclusives left and right and two years later, it's crystal clear they now have the significant edge in the exclusive battle.

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Savage Moon is really fun, you should list that

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Hey, I think the third party exclusive (although just timed) matters and I'm not sure you can single them out. All the timed exclusives of the past gives the perception that xbox will get the game first. I think it's rare to find a timed exclusive that's in the favor of the ps3...

[Register or Login to view links]

Here you have some

"Xbox 360 has the Gears series and that's about it".

Uhm, maybe you've been living under a rock for the last five years, but Xbox has a game franchise called Halo, you might want to look it up. Halo Wars will be released on March 3 in Canada.

Banned User
    many companys which are producers of big games, said that it would be better to build up big and important games only for PS3 because its the onliest console which is not hackable.

most of the illegal copys of games are downloaded for the Xbox360 and also many games gets realesed for the xbox360 before they are available in store. this makes the game publisher angry, also because Microsoft doestn think about a copy protection for the console. they leave it as it is.

Xbox 360 has the Gears series and that's about it
    Oh, really? Hmm:

- Fable II
    - Halo 3
    - Halo: ODST
    - Halo Wars
    - Gears of War 1
    - Gears of War 2
    - Final Fantasy
    - GTA: The Lost and Damned
    - Saints Row
    - Crackdown
    - Dead Rising
    - Ninja Gaiden II
    - Ninja Blade
    - Forza Motorsport 2
    - Race PRO
    - Forza Motorsport 3 (will be released in 2009)
    - Star Ocean: The Last Hope
    - Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction
    - Mass Effect 2
    Last edited by Nefarod; 03-01-2009 at 09:10 PM

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarod View Post
    Oh, really? Hmm:

- Fable II
    - Halo 3
    - Halo: ODST
    - Halo Wars
    - Gears of War 1
    - Gears of War 2
    - Final Fantasy
    - GTA: The Lost and Damned
    - Saints Row
    - Crackdown
    - Dead Rising
    - Ninja Gaiden II
    - Ninja Blade
    - Forza Motorsport 2
    - Race PRO
    - Forza Motorsport 3 (will be released in 2009)
    - Star Ocean: The Last Hope
    - Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction
    - Mass Effect 2
    I must alert you that there are several problems with your list.
    • Correct me if I am mistaken but I believe Microsoft has dropped Bungie, so Halo will probably no longer be what it once was, as we can see with Halo Wars which was developed by Ensemble (not saying it was bad, just not what the recent games were).
    • There is a Ninja Gaiden Sigma, which is exclusive to PlayStation 3.
    • Saints Row 2 is multiplatform.
    • Mass Effect 2 is stated to be multiplatform as well. Maybe you meant the first Mass Effect?
    • GTA Lost and Damned is add-on content...

The reason I pointed out the multiplats was because of the references to timed exclusives in the main article.

You did have a good list of exclusives though and it was somewhat arrogant to say that all the Xbox 360 has is Gears. But, I must admit, aside from Fable II and the unmentioned Fallout 3 DLC, the PlayStation 3 list was much more flattering than the Xbox 360 list.
    Last edited by BlingOnMyWrist; 03-02-2009 at 02:00 AM

Saints Row 2 is multiplatform.
    But I say about Saints Row 1...

GTA Lost and Damned is add-on content...
    ...with new storyline.

Correct me if I am mistaken but I believe Microsoft has dropped Bungie
    No, Microsoft dissolved Ensemble studio (not Bungie) when they done "Halo Wars".
    [Register or Login to view links]

There is a Ninja Gaiden Sigma, which is exclusive to PlayStation 3.
    So what? This not change a fact, that xbox 360 has two different "Ninja" games.

Mass Effect 2 is stated to be multiplatform as well
    Ehe, [Register or Login to view links]

"Platform(s): Xbox 360".
    Last edited by Nefarod; 03-02-2009 at 09:33 AM

Well pardon my ignorance, I was just spilling my thoughts.

You are correct, although, Mass Effect has not officially been announced for any platform. It would obviously feature on the Xbox 360 because that is where the prequel was released but, if you have been up to date with the way EA publishes games lately, [Register or Login to view links].

Also in your reference to Wikipedia, understandably, you may have overlooked the note at the top: This article contains information about an unreleased video game, and may change substantially as more information becomes available.

But yes, your other arguments against... my arguments were correct.

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News