Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Question Got a PC wifi problem

Sponsored Links
    and can't get it to work, since it isn't directly ps3-related am asking it here~

in short: my crappy lappy sees the wifi it connects to it but it won't get an IP so it won't work

that's with automatic settings,

i tried to set things manually, it says connected but in reality is not working
    i can't change router's options cause it is "blocked" by my ISP, but it should work no-problem..
    i haven't been able to try anything else with wi-fi, cause i have nothing atm, but will try to see if other devices have problems

sooo... dunno what to do, any advice ?

thanks for the help~

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    mac-id-filter...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    unfortunately i can't add or remove any feature from the modem/router, as it is blocked (my ISP won't permit it, i can just change ports and other minor things on a website)

btw it seems like it works with a cell, but it won't on the lappy, and i just found out that if my father's PC (he's using a wire instead of wifi) is off, then i can connect no problem with the lappy, so i really dunno what's wrong, i even have an additional router to speard the wifi signal better (in fact the lappy says "excellent" signal, the problem lies wit hthe ip address, or so it seems)

youre probably bridged the connection from your modem to your Wifi device. You need to NAT the connection for it to be able to use by one or more computers.

Why it wont work on other computers? it's because that ISP only allows you to get 1 WAN IP address from them. To NAT the connection just simply connect your modem in your WiFi Device. There should be a WAN port there, then go to your WiFi's admin page and do the necessary configurations for your internet service.

the limit should be three, and i use a wifi router just to prevent that limit to actually happen, the strange thing is, if i connect with the lappy (wifi) first, then i can connect with my father's (cable) no problem, the opposite won't work

unfortunately i don't have any other lappy to try if mine's the problem

have you tried resetting your internet modem?

Quote Originally Posted by bernywtf View Post
    the limit should be three, and i use a wifi router just to prevent that limit to actually happen, the strange thing is, if i connect with the lappy (wifi) first, then i can connect with my father's (cable) no problem, the opposite won't work

unfortunately i don't have any other lappy to try if mine's the problem
    i can see several problems. firstly are both routers set to be dhcp hosts? if so change one of them then reboot both. second unless your file sharing (torrents, website hosting or ftp etc.) you should use automatic ip config - it saves a lot of the hassle, so if possible set both machines to auto or make them both manual and assign them different ip addresses on the same subnet (e.g. 192.168.0.x where x is the address from 2 - 254) and also make sure the routers are both on the same subnet so if one is 192.168.0.1 then best bet is to make the second 192.168.0.100 - always good practice to keep them well apart, they dont have to be it is just easier.

thirdly the ssid of each router should be different to prevent possible issues however im not sure if an ssid conflict can happen but at least you can tell what router your connected too. and finally as mentioned earlier in this thread, check mac filtering in the routers config (both of them) and make sure your machine is either added to the list or make sure mac filtering is off (not recommended). im not gonna get into wps but it could also help but i doubt the lappy supports it, at least in hardware. i think i covered everything good luck and post success or failure.

*edit* if you cant get access to the router interface for whatever reason you must use a cable connection.
    Last edited by Anger007; 10-02-2012 at 11:35 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

i can access (and will once i have some free time) the router, but i can't access the modem/router, as it is blocked (my ISP decided to have only this kind of router to work with this net, i could hack it, but it's not "bright" to do so as it would mean they can call me off if some problems arise), on the management page they give me

SSID, Transmission channel, security (wep wpa), nothing more, so it should be open by default

i'll try to do the other things you said, thanks for the help

- Transmission channel should NEVER match on wireless routers IF are placed on the same room/house.
    - Cascade routers should NEVER have the same IP range for DHCP (if DHCP is enabled, good example: 192.168.0.xxx for first router and 192.168.1.xxx for second router).
    - Delete any existing wireless network connection profiles from your laptop.
    - Connect.

cascaded routers as long as one of them has dhcp disabled can be on the same subnet but there is more changes to make than that so i recommend bernywtf disconnect the second router till he solves the basic problem then works out from there. it sounds like he may not be able to access the options required to solve this anyway but we can try.

bernywtf, it might be helpful to know the type of modem/router as it does seem locked down a lot. i'm pretty sure it'll have an advanced access interface where you can change some settings but i have a feeling the problem is on one of the pc's.

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News