Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

GameStop Exec Defends Used Game Sales & Somewhat Succeeds

Sponsored Links
    In a recent interview with [Register or Login to view links], GameStop Chief Marketing Officer Mike Hogan tried to defend his company's stance on the used game market by comparing it to the used car market.

He argued that without trade money from used cars, the owners wouldn't be able to afford a new car. Although some people will try to flaw his argument by noting that games aren't that expensive in relation to people's disposable income.

To quote: Starting his argument, he compared the games industry to the car industry saying: "If you couldn't sell your old car - would the industry sell more cars?" He argues that without the trade-in money From The used car, owners wouldn't be able to afford a new car.

He then claimed that 90% of trade-ins take place over 90 days after the release of a game. He said, "We track this fairly closely. We believe we're extending the life-cycles of users."

He continued, "I realize there are other perspectives, but ours is: trades and used fuel growth in the category."

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I kinda agree on what Mr. Hogan's comparison. But seriously, a new ps3 or Xbox360 game price at $59.99 and their used counterpart goes for $54.99. Isn't that bit high?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    indeed very high, especially when you concider the fatct that if you buy a game from theme and you don't really like it they wont refund, they'll concidere it used and buy it off you half the price (for a game you purchased like a week ago).

other stores like BB and Futurshop you can get a full refund (even opened games) as any other thing you buy from them.

that's what happened to my brother, he baught MKvsDC (59.99+tx ~ 66$) from ebgames (here in canada) next week he went and he wanted his money back, the guy told him no way.

all he can do is take it back and give him a credit of 30$ (it is not a game that has an end, like Prince of persia), an they will sell for 45-50 bucks, they can even put in a plastic wrap (very easy) and sell it as new again.

Quote Originally Posted by kenshin33 View Post
    all he can do is take it back and give him a credit of 30$ (it is not a game that has an end, like Prince of persia), an they will sell for 45-50 bucks, they can even put in a plastic wrap (very easy) and sell it as new again.
    This buy/sell used games scheme makes me sick, these guys rip you off both ways by buying you really low and selling you pretty high. It even makes me angry just to know this guys are ruining the game industry with their crap.

Everyone gets screwed the developer because they cant sell more copys of their games(even if they are good or crappy), the sellers because they wont even be able to get another used game, and the guy that buys the used game for almost the same price as new.

I really do hope some day we get to see something like steam on the consoles, where you get rid of the middle guy and just get the shit from sony or the developers themselfs, keep your game forever and if you want you can give it away for free.

Or implement a pay as you go method and just play everything, that would be just awesome just get charged .99 cents a full hour of play and play anything you like and give the developers their share of each our played

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News