Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

GameStop Employee Confession: Corporate Makes Me Do It

Sponsored Links
    According to Loot-Ninja, an employee of GameStop apparently told a shopper that "I know it's shady, but corporate makes me push the cheaper knockoffs because they make more money off of them" as he attempted to offer them a Logitech PS3 controller instead of an official one.

To quote: When my buddy asked for a PS3 controller, the clerk said "no problem" and moved toward the controllers section. He first showed us the Logitech version of a PS3 controller to which I responded, "I thought we were friends?"

The clerk laughed and looked at me and then pulled down an official PS3 controller. He then told me that he felt bad even offering the Logitech controller, which he admitted was cheaper in quality and would probably not last as long. I knew that already, but what he said next was interesting.

"I know it's shady, but corporate makes me push the cheaper knockoffs because they make more money off of them." Pretty messed up since if I wasn't with my friend, he may have been lead to buy an inferior controller just to save a few bucks and then regretted it in the long run.

How many parents fall into this trap on a daily basis just so that GameStop can make more cash? Sad that the employees are forced to do this as well. What do you think?

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links

A company, trying to make money? NO WAY!

Sponsored Links
    This is a bit of a stretch as far as 'news' goes. I mean, when I worked at Guitar Center, there were certain cables we pushed because Guitar Center actually owned the company that made them. We charged 15.99 for them (still cheaper than the competition, so customers thought they were getting a deal) while base cost was around a dollar fifty. This is how businesses make money. Ever have a waitress recommend drinks and an appetizer? Would you be SHOCKED to find out that it was because that's what the restaurant makes the most money on?? Of course not.

GameStop is an EVIL corporation, but as long as people continue to shop there instead of hopping online and getting the same items for less money (like you and your friend just did), they're going to stay around and try to make money wherever they can. It wouldn't make sense for them to do things any differently.

Banned User
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    @glassmusic,

I have to strongly disagree, word of mouth will always be the best advertisement. And a customer that is completely satisfied and feels the salesperson had their best interest in mind is much more likely to to give recommendations to their friends and family.

With the case stated above, if they didn't happen to be friends and the customer would have been duped into purchasing the inferior game pad,..say it breaks and instead of telling 2 or 3 friends about his good experience with them he goes on *****ing and moaning to everyone he knows for days telling them how he was recommended to buy a controller that was $5 or so dollars cheaper but it didn't even last a week..

More sales can be lost by a company trying to push what is more profitable in the short term than trying to build a loyal customer base and winning in the long run.

just my 2cents

i agree idone, i think i have a slightly different angle on it though. I think that those "knowledgeable" and "helpful" sales people should tell the truth, if they don't the business should be considered 'shady' in my opinion.

For example in this case, i'd prefer if the sales person told me that they've got two controllers, X is cheaper than Y but Y is better quality than X. Depending on my needs and financial situation i'd then be able to decide which is better for me. This kind of trickery that businesses play on is very unbecoming of them.

Finding ways to make money is fine, but knowing that you helped your customer made the best possible decision, why would they go anywhere else? i.e. brand loyalty etc.

oh well... i guess this is just the world we live in... thank God we've got the internet lol

btw i also think that glassmusic is correct, its the reality of the world we live in today... of course that's how it is but not necessarily how it should be.
    Last edited by jevolution; 01-20-2009 at 01:44 PM

idone & jevolution: While I see your points, it appears you haven't owned a business... I can think of MANY scenarios in which this plays out. Any store that has an 'inhouse' brand is essentially doing a similar practice. If they weren't making money on their product, they would just continue to sell the name brand.

That goes for Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Cub Foods, just to name a few. To think that a salesman makes money on telling the whole truth, all the time, is naive. If word of mouth was so powerful, the person in question would likely not even be in Game Stop to buy a controller in the first place. Salespeople are there to 'help' a customer, not give the ins and outs of every different option.

Wise up and do a little research before you buy and then salespeople become nothing but an annoyance. Yes, the argument that not everyone has internet access or the smarts to do their own research is valid, but everyone I know has friends. As a matter of fact, that is exactly what saved this potential customer.

What if the salesman didn't really know the controller was less reliable? Are we supposed to blame the salesman for being ignorant? If so, my previous argument about not everyone having the ability to research every purchase comes back around...

Bottom line, if someone doesn't know what they are buying, it is on their shoulders, not someone selling the product.

Actually i have owned a business... but your points are well taken. I think we all agree that the world or rather the ppl in it are not fair or perfect.

I especially agree with your last last btw, it makes a lot of sense.

not my gamestop

I work part time at walmart while i finish school, and the local gamestop and our store both keep it honest with customers. We actually work together. When gamestop has something in stock that we dont, we send ppl there, and they do the same for us.

Gamestop has also let me leave with a 70$ item because computers were down; on an honor system to return and pay for it later. Must suck to live in your area, but my area is great for honesty.
    Last edited by jay18miscaif; 01-20-2009 at 07:30 PM Reason: typo

No suprises there. How about what the major corporations do in order to sell their higher profit margin items.

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News