Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by gamemaster14XIV View Post
    Windows ME was a bit of a failure simular to Windows Vista. Both had alot of problems and werent too popular. I personlly couldnt see a new windows for another 3-5 years.

If anyone recalls correctly project longhorn which eventually came to be know as windows vista was in development for several years, so the only way we are going to see a new windows soon is if its a minor update kinda like windows 7 was to windows vista. I couldn't see a completely new windows.
    as a software programmer i can tell you, there will never be a completly new sotware (in that case, windows). in the case of windows they always use the old kernels and improve them. also a software like an operation system is never completed. there are every time things to improve. things who have to be adjusted on the hardware or other software parts.

windows did some mistakes, but operating systems like me, xp or vista wasnt such bad. i worked long time with them and never hade problems. now i work on windows 7 64bit professionall and still have no problems. all ide's im using for developing my softwares are working fine, all my games are working fine, and all my movies are running smooth.

more my pc doesnt have to do. if i want a coffee, i go into my kitchen

greetings
    warrorar

I'm with xUb3rn00dlEx on this one. Win7 is a good OS compared to the others (or lesser of all the evils if you want to look at it that way).

If you have a decent/recent computer, Win7 really is the best choice. I've been using Win7 64bit for a while now and haven't had any major problems with it. Games are great. Movies are great. Load times for anything is pretty low to nonexistent (that prefetch seems to work well).

Keep in mind, when I say decent/recent, I mean at least two gb of ram (more is always better), a good graphics card (nvidia 8800 series or higher), and a good cpu (dual/quad core). If you have less than that, then yea, WinXP is probably more suited towards you.

I do agree that Win8 will proabably be just a tweak to Win7. Unless I see some benchmarks showing that Win8 > Win7, especially for gaming, I'm going to stay put with Win7.

I use Windows Xp, at the moment I am using my friend's laptop which has Window's 7, I don't like Vista, 7 or anything beyond that, and this current leak has got me more sympathetic rather than excited for M$, ah well...

Personally I prefer Mac, I've never used Mac but from what I can tell, it cut's out most BS that M$ has to 'offer' lol

Quote Originally Posted by danzorezno View Post
    I use Windows Xp, at the moment I am using my friend's laptop which has Window's 7, I don't like Vista, 7 or anything beyond that, and this current leak has got me more sympathetic rather than excited for M$, ah well...

Personally I prefer Mac, I've never used Mac but from what I can tell, it cut's out most BS that M$ has to 'offer' lol
    Incorrect. I have used Mac, and while it does cut out alot of the bullshit that M$ offers, it replaces it with "Sauteed Mac BS." Then there is Linux, which also cuts out many other bullshits, and replaces it with Penguin crap. This is a never ending battle, and we all win because it forces competition.

Quote Originally Posted by xUb3rn00dlEx View Post
    Incorrect. I have used Mac, and while it does cut out alot of the bullshit that M$ offers, it replaces it with "Sauteed Mac BS." Then there is Linux, which also cuts out many other bullshits, and replaces it with Penguin crap. This is a never ending battle, and we all win because it forces competition.
    I partially agree, but I do think Linux has the most potential. Just look at Wine for example. In only a few years it has gone from a laggy mess to playing a quite respectable library of games without too many problems. I say, let's give them some time. If you were to compare Linux to Windows Linux has evolved a whole lot more and faster than Windows which is stuck copying from Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVeryUberEnd View Post
    I partially agree, but I do think Linux has the most potential. Just look at Wine for example. In only a few years it has gone from a laggy mess to playing a quite respectable library of games without too many problems. I say, let's give them some time. If you were to compare Linux to Windows Linux has evolved a whole lot more and faster than Windows which is stuck copying from Apple.
    I do agree with you only to some extent. I do think Linux has the most potential, but it had that for several years now in my opinion. It is not at the level that most end users will appreciate, and when marketing an OS, end users are the biggest percentage of the market out there.

I don't believe windows is stuck copying from Apple, nor do I believe the opposite. The market is a competitive one, in which everything will be copied or replicated to some extent if it is popular, but more importantly, lucrative. Certain aspects of Windows have been copied by Apple, and vice versa. It is just how competition works. You can throw Linux in there and see that it too has copied elements of both of the most successful OS' out there, yet the same is true in reverse.

As for wine, it has advanced a long way, but I myself do at times have trouble using it, especially for new releases. Apple has jumped leaps and bounds to get gaming compatibility on its own OS, but from my experience the hardware is complete garbage for professional gaming on Apple computers. Windows still reigns supreme here.

And as to time, that is the only thing that is certain. As it passes, things will change, but we cannot confuse the future with the present. As it stands, Linux has a long way to go, and it is no where near the acceptability that Apple or Windows are. Perhaps in the future it will be, but you must also look that in the future, both major OS' will also be paying attention to Linux as a competitor, and will do some serious marketing in order to convince the public that it is the best of the three.

My .02.

I agree that Windows XP is still the best, to me. I beta tested Vista and 7 and was impressed with the presentation but as a computer technician made things a hell-of-a-lot worse. Not only did they create new problems for everybody but they took out a lot of settings and/or options to allow for people to set their network up the way they wanted.

I cannot tell you how much trouble Vista and 7 have caused in forms of companies upgrading then wondering why nothing is working anymore. From 2000 to XP wasnt that different and XP actually made a lot of improvements as far as customizing and configurations. Now it seems its a joke to mess with people in exchange for flashiness and wow factor. Its a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by inginear View Post
    no thanks. i'll stick with my xp until m$ creates a virus that kills every copy of xp, therbey forcing people to update and give them more money.

i'm sure they failed to mention that when your computer is connected to the internet and you have a webcam, m$ can remotely connect to your webcam and watch what you are doing without any consent from you. (unless it's in the eula which almost nobody reads.) they will probably try to spin it as some kind of behavior study to see how people react to different programs/websites/videos/etc.
    You should try Vista or 7 and you'll love it.

Can wait till it comes out i like to have all the latest software and i quite like the change between XP > Vista > 7 so i expect quite a lot from 8 and hope its not exactly like 7.

woot , nice news. just getting win 7 on my rig's here, oh well more upgrades is fun if you got the money :/ look's nice if run's like 7 hey why not

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12