Final Fantasy XIII Has Optional 18.3GB XBox 360 HDD Installation

According to http://ve3tro.com/7612/final-fantasy-13-install-18gb/, Final Fantasy XIII is confirmed to have an optional 18.3GB XBox 360 HDD installation for those curious.

To quote: "Just in case you've been planning to get Final Fantasy XIII on the 360, here's some info that will help you with playing the game on the console - the size of each discs' optional install.

The three of them sum up into 18.3GB, as you can see. I'd say the option of installing your games is one of the finest features the 360 offers, cutting load times and reducing disc scratches to a zero, since the DVD drive doesn't spin at all if the game is installed... and now that you know how much space each disc takes up, manage your HDD space accordingly."

Final Fantasy XIII Has Optional 18.3GB XBox 360 HDD Installation

More PlayStation 3 News...

the news is a bit misleading and one very important fact is never mentioned.. you do not! have to install all 3 discs at once!

just install disc1 until disc swap. insert disc2 save and quit the game. deinstall disc1 and install disc2. the same procedure of course for disc3.

when you finished the game you do not have to insert disc 1 or 2 again if you want to explore.

i think the source of this news never actually played on xbox or just wanted to start some fires so the time passes by faster.

Big Grin

Or you can just get it on ps3 and not have to worry or go through all of the trouble lol.

i doubt that the poster wanted to start some fires! it's far too easy to start a fanboy war now-a-days anyway lol!

it's just interesting to see that the install is about 18gb, because i would like to know if the install is ALL the data (i dont own an xbox so unsure if this is the case) I'm curious because if it is ALL the data and they've obviously used dvd-9's for the discs, then that means they *almost* fit the entire game on 2 disc's...

So why didnt square-enix, when realising they had just missed out on putting it on 2disc's, just either cut an extra few hundred meg from the game to make it fit OR think "wer gonna use 3 discs anyway, might aswel fill them!" and make the game almost 27gb??

Quote Originally Posted by saviour07 View Post
    i doubt that the poster wanted to start some fires! it's far too easy to start a fanboy war now-a-days anyway lol!

it's just interesting to see that the install is about 18gb, because i would like to know if the install is ALL the data (i dont own an xbox so unsure if this is the case) I'm curious because if it is ALL the data and they've obviously used dvd-9's for the discs, then that means they *almost* fit the entire game on 2 disc's...

So why didnt square-enix, when realising they had just missed out on putting it on 2disc's, just either cut an extra few hundred meg from the game to make it fit OR think "wer gonna use 3 discs anyway, might aswel fill them!" and make the game almost 27gb??
    first, i am not trying to start any fanboy wars. i read in a few places where square had to redo some of the textures and fmv's in lower resolutions for the xbox 360 version of the game because of the 360's hardware.

so, even if they did leave the textures as they were originally made for the ps3 which would use more space, the 360 couldn't handle the processing of the textures. and if they downgraded the textures any more, it would look like a game from the last generation. so to compensate, they downgraded the textures as much as they could without harming the graphics to an easily visible degree. and the downgraded textures and videos were still just a little to big for 2 discs so they had no choice but to use 3.

yeh obviously some of the code was redone to port it from the ps3 to the 360, because the ps3 was pretty much finished and they treated the 360 version as a new project, just using the models etc as a quick way of getting it finished... but because of the hardware differences used by the two consoles then it is't fanboyish to say that the 360 had to user lower-poly model's to render within the game, same for textures.

I doubt that it is entirely noticeable because im sure that square-enix want their game to look as polished on the xbox as it is on the ps3, it's just certain things are going to have to suffer i.e. fmv's and textures etc.

What i meant though was that i think it is interesting to see that the final product uses just over two dual layer dvd's, so if that is all the data of the game then im just curious as to why the dev's didnt think "hey, we could probably squeeze a little bit more out of the textures here!" and make it fit within three disc's.

I'm a ps3 owner, but think that it would be great to see that square-enix where willing to push the 360 as much as they did on the ps3.

Wow i see no significance in creating such a large installation. What do they even contain? This is why i regard PS3 as better