Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

College Student Charged with Modding Gaming Consoles

According to CBS11tv.com (linked above), a southern California college student has been arrested on allegations of bypassing the DMCA by installing modchips into consoles.

The federal charges stated that he illegally modified video game consoles to enable the machines to play pirated video games, to quote:

The U.S. Attorney's Office says 27-year-old Matthew Crippen was released Monday night after posting $5,000 bond.

The California State University, Fullerton student who lives in Anaheim is accused of modifying Xbox, PlayStation and Wii consoles in violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents got a tip from the Entertainment Software Association and searched Crippen's home in May. He was indicted on two counts by a federal grand jury. Crippen faces 10 years in prison if convicted and is scheduled for arraignment on Aug. 10.

College Student Charged with Modding Gaming Consoles

More PlayStation 3 News...

this is messed up.. the only time i thought they could complain about modding was if you were selling bootleg games.

this is a freakin joke.

Its gonna only get worse! lol. I complain about DRM all the time and i dont see them letting up soon. Freedom my ass, free as long as the powerful companies are happy...

Theres news of another student being charged for thousands for downloading a CD...

We all must do our part to keep the rich fat guy on top happy!
    Last edited by semitope; 08-04-2009 at 07:10 PM

LOL

Yeah! Its gonna only get worse! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by semitope View Post
    Its gonna only get worse! lol. I complain about DRM all the time and i dont see them letting up soon. Freedom my ass, free as long as the powerful companies are happy...

Theres news of another student being charged for thousands for downloading a CD...

We all must do our part to keep the rich fat guy on top happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by wiriche View Post
    Yeah! Its gonna only get worse! lol.
    yea aint that the truth, and i hate drm with a passion.

So you don't have the freedom to do whatever you want with the console you BOUGHT and the modchip you ALSO BOUGHT? Using pirated games is illegal but it is ridiculous to make something as modding your own console illegal. You have the right to run homebrews in your own console, and if a guy makes it possible he is charged?

It's like paying for the engineers incompetence in making an unhackable security system...

What a joke, I can understand if he was providing burnt off games, but if it was just modding a console for enhanced features and performance that's no one's business. What a waste of taxpayer money and judicial resources. I hope these companies get with the times.

Quote Originally Posted by Preceptor View Post
    So you don't have the freedom to do whatever you want with the console you BOUGHT and the modchip you ALSO BOUGHT? Using pirated games is illegal but it is ridiculous to make something as modding your own console illegal. You have the right to run homebrews in your own console, and if a guy makes it possible he is charged?

It's like paying for the engineers incompetence in making an unhackable security system...
    I dont care if people hack, chip or do what ever they want with there system i disagree with selling bootleg games though

Quote Originally Posted by red8316 View Post
    What a joke, I can understand if he was providing burnt off games, but if it was just modding a console for enhanced features and performance that's no one's business. What a waste of taxpayer money and judicial resources. I hope these companies get with the times.
    You are absolutely right about it being a waste of time i hope these companies grow up and catch from the 50s to the new century

Was he selling his services or was he just modding his own consoles?

Quote Originally Posted by maxpwer222 View Post
    Was he selling his services or was he just modding his own consoles?
    Good question. If its his own consoles this is even worse news. i gotta follow this one

This would mean a friend could just get pissed and inform some authority that you modded your 360 and you are fooked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast