Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

CNET: Nine Reasons Why the Blu-ray Format Will Succeed

Sponsored Links
    CNET reported on nine reasons why they feel the Blu-ray format will succeed as follows today:

1. Digital downloads will not eliminate the need for discs anytime soon.

2. Having one clear standard is a big advantage.

3. Blu-ray isn't going to be replaced by another disc format anytime soon.

4. Prices for large-screen HDTVs will continue to drop.

5. Prices for Blu-ray players will continue to drop.

6. Prices for Blu-ray discs will drop to near DVD price levels.

7. Sony will sell lots of PlayStation 3 game consoles.

8. Sony can't afford to have Blu-ray fail.

9. Sony and its partners will figure out a way to have Blu-ray resonate with the public.

As always, feel free to agree or disagree below and list your reasons you think Blu-ray will make it, fade away, or muddle about in a place between success and failure, forever eliciting praise and criticism.

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    8 and 9 aren't reasons. Just because Sony needs it to happen, and Sony wants it to happen doesn't mean it will.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Sony has to learn to do one thing right and they should be on their way-- ADVERTISE... hehe..

Reasons? Can you seriously call those reasons??

1. More and more people are getting unlimited internet with wide bandwich. Reason one is maybe a solid argument to say that BluRay will survive digital media, but it certainly wont succeed as hard as DVD did and become a main format.

2. True, but i dont see how this helps BluRay.

3. Is this an argument?

4. So? Not only bluRay can produce high quality picture.

5,6. True, true

7. Ok... But 85% of the people who bought PS3 only did it to play some games. They dont care about BluRay. Its just something to brag about, not to use.

8 and 9 Come on... should that be convincing? Someone, someday will do something?

I remember something like this back in the day when PS3 just was released. Top reasons to buy PS3 were:

PS3 is shiny
    It has bluRay, just wait few years.
    XBOX suck
    Microsoft sucks
    PS3 is better
    ive always had a PlayStation

See, those are not reasons to success, just some words put together, forcing hope.

I think the main reason why blu-ray may succeed is the overwhelming quality of picture & sound compared to any other common format today. (Since the HD DVD is buried).

I watch 1080i HD movies from satellite and I'm quite satisfied to the quality of those ~10GB/h streams, but still it is quite easy to notice the difference between br & sat quality. (Wathing those from 118" screen). I can't see any reason why I would pay more for hiring a ~3-6GB/h movie from web, when I can hire it for cheaper price from local video store, but I can understand that it can be a good choise for some people.

There is not many movies I would like to pay 20-30€/$ for a blu-ray version, but also DVD discs were guite expensive at the beginning and I think we are getting chaper br dics prices all the time. Actually I just bought my first < 10€ movie yesterday (cost 4.80 €).

All movie studios naturally wants to get high profits from early adopters (and of course br discs manufacturing is still little more expensive than dvds), but I think it all gonna change very quickly when br market has grown big enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthogno View Post
    1. More and more people are getting unlimited internet with wide bandwich. Reason one is maybe a solid argument to say that BluRay will survive digital media, but it certainly wont succeed as hard as DVD did and become a main format.
    Most major Internet providers here are currently lowering bandwith limits. I went from 100gb/month to 20gb/month + throttling. Ridiculous.

1. More and more people are getting unlimited internet with wide bandwich.
    But (a) it's not enough for high-end video yet, and (b) it's not reliable yet. Fluctuations and lag, especially when moving lots of data, are inevitable. The infrastructure's reliable enough for YouTube-level videos to be transmitted regularly (most of the time), but not 1080p.

Consider - most people's home networks are much faster than their internet connection, even if they're using 802.11g. Try sometime to stream a full 1080p video over wifi - under ideal conditions, maybe it'll work.

2. True, but i dont see how this helps BluRay.

3. Is this an argument?
    Together, 2 and 3 are an argument. All other things being equal, there's pressure (from both consumers and producers) to settle on one format, and no other format for now has the necessary capacity and is in mass production.

Not a guarantee the way CNET portrays it, no, but still an argument.

4. So? Not only bluRay can produce high quality picture.
    True. However, Blu-ray has no benefit at all unless you have an HDTV. What they are saying here is that the potential market for Blu-ray will increase. It's not that 4 is an advantage for Blu-ray, it's that a disadvantage will become less of an issue.

7. Ok... But 85% of the people who bought PS3 only did it to play some games. They dont care about BluRay. Its just something to brag about, not to use.
    I dunno about that. Blu-ray was definitely a deciding factor in our getting a PS3 over the 360. We subscribe to Blockbuster's Netflix clone, so Blu-ray or DVD is the same price for us, and I generally pick Blu-ray when available. For dramas and chick-flicks, it's worthless - "27 Dresses" isn't any better in Blu-ray - but for special-effect movies, it's much nicer. I got "Iron Man" on Blu-ray for xmas 'cause it's that much better than DVD.

At the very least, you can look at it like 4, increasing the number of people who see Blu-ray as an option. (Especially as the price of discs comes down.)

8 and 9 Come on... should that be convincing? Someone, someday will do something?
    Yeah, wishing doesn't make it so. Those don't belong on the list.

Blu-ray's success is by no means assured. However, I don't think its downside is quite as ominous as a lot of people portray. I would love for internet speeds to become fast enough to make full-HD downloads feasible in the near future, but I don't see that happening. I figure we've got about a decade before we don't need some kind of physical media to transport that many bits reliably, in bulk.

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News