Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Chinese Pirates Crack Blu-ray DRM, Sell Pirated HD Discs

Sponsored Links
    Movie pirates are distributing fake Blu-ray movie titles in China, which are essentially ordinary DVDs passed off as Blu-rays.

According to a [Register or Login to view links], the counterfeit Blu-ray discs are ordinary DVDs that hold the same movie content as the original Blu-ray but it is encoded in the AVCHD format. AVCHD is based on the MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) video format, enabling recording of high-definition 1080i and 720p video onto cheap DVD discs.

"We are concerned and are assigning priority to this issue," said Mike Ellis, the Asia-Pacific managing director for the MPA.

The issue came into the surface last month when authorities raided a big stash of the new pirated discs in China, which is often at the leading edge of piracy trends.

The MPA estimates that within the next six months the high-definition discs could account for 10% of $224 million that its member companies lose from piracy in China. While a legitimate Blu-ray discs costs about $30, a pirated Chinese disc goes for as little as $7. More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    7$ for pirated DVD doesn't sound very cheap in my mind, when you can also download HD versions from net & burn yourself, if you want to support pirated movies. I guess normal DVD copies are much more cheaper ? (Less than 1$/pcs ?)

The quality of 1 DVD AVCHD disc can't be perfect, when average movie usually takes > 20GB. I would rather backup my original BR:s using 2 x DVD9 discs with uncompressed & unnecessary sounds ripped, if possible.

The idea of watching HD movies is ruined quite easily, if you have to compromise the quality too much.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellog View Post
    7$ for pirated DVD doesn't sound very cheap in my mind...
    It isn't. These are being sold as if they are Blu-ray discs - $7 for a Blu-ray ain't bad - but they are just DVDs. Hard to tell from just visual inspection unless you know what to look for.

Its amazing what they can accomplish over there! But its really nothing special hddvd and blurays rips have been available online for a long time. Nothing like downloading a movie in 720/1080p and watching it on the ps3

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News