Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Blu-ray Format being Adopted Faster than DVD was

Sponsored Links
    Blu-ray technology is being adopted faster than DVD technology was, according to a prominent manufacturer. German optical disc equipment maker Singulus said it received orders for 21 Blu-ray dual-layer machines in the first quarter of this year.

The company said this figure showed the new technology was being adopted faster than its predecessor, DVD, 11 years ago.

"This means that the orders for Blu-ray in the first year of the dual layer technology already by far exceeded the volume at the start of the DVD eleven years ago with 17 machines," chief financial officer Stefan Baustert said.

The company added in a statement that it had received additional orders for Blu-ray dual-layer machines this quarter and said a key US customer had accepted one of the machines for the first time.

Singulus has only two competitors in the small Blu-ray manufacturing market -- Swiss company Oerlikon, and Sony.

The adoption of Blu-ray was for years held up by a format war with rival technology HD-DVD, but a decision by Hollywood studio Warner Bros. early this year to support Blu-ray exclusively effectively decided the issue.

Blu-ray Format being Adopted Faster than DVD was

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links

Wink Of course they are!

Sponsored Links
    It doesn't surprise me though - people these days are alot more technologically aware than they were when DVDs came out... think about it... before DVDs, it was VCRs... or worse... Betas lol...

Now, we're all used to DVDs, but would it not be SWEET to be able to do a data backup on 16 gig media (or whatever the capacity is of a blue ray disc) instead of the 4-5 you get on a DVD? I mean usability aside, even from that angle its almost expected.

i KNEW it was a better move to get a PS3 than a 360

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News