Angry Anti virus software recommendation?

Hi! Recently I have contracted a google redirect virus on my computer, the internet works fine when I copy and paste a web address in but when I google search and click on a link I get redirected onto another site.

I bought a new PC Internet Security program from the shop which found a few trackers and adwares which I got rid of but the same problem still exists. My computer then ran really slow so I have system restored to a week ago and did a disk clean up which has speeded up my computer again but got rid of the new Internet security I have. I want to buy Antivirus software on discount.

Anyone please help any help would be appreciated.

Microsoft Security Essentials is free if you have a legit os.

this happened to me , back up anything you want to keep and reinstall windows wiping the lot, it got to the stage that my laptop kept blue screen crashing and was running that slow was unusable.

i don't think theres an antivirus than can help you get rid of google redirector. For getting rid of it use combofix and for antivirus use avast or MSE, the free are always the best.

microsoft security essentials is excellent and free.. run the scan it will quarantine it and then you can delete it, problem solved..

Whatever you decide to use, you should put the installer on some flash memory, do a destructive reinstall, then install the antivirus before the pc is ever connected to the internet

Wipe the drive and install Microsoft Security Essentials. 'nuff said.

Avira does slightly better in tests than MSE, but either of the two are just fine and I wouldn't use anything but one or the other. If the Avira pop-up bothers you - just prevent it from running using gpedit and never worry about it again.

I personally like the free Comodo Internet Security. Combined with the firewall and everything. Yea it does go crazy a bit everytime you install something but once you get the hang of it, it is pretty secure and easy.

Banned User
    Sounds like you have more problems than you think, just the fact you got this stuff means you were unprotected and probably have a lot of other junk lingering around that you are unaware of, and at the very least... messed up core windows files from all the viruses.

Most effective solution would be to reformat and reinstall windows. Then before you do anything (like restore your backup files or go browsing the net) get yourself a decent AV that has real-time scanning. Avast is great for being free and has a low impact on resources and CPU usage (avoid Norton AV). Then get yourself a good firewall with HIPS protection, Comodo or Online Armor are excellent choices, but just make sure whatever you use has HIPS (Host Intrusion Prevention System) protection. HIPS is the backbone of a computers security IMO, if you get only one security program, firewall + HIPS will be the most effective, however at the very least you should use a AV + FiWall + HIPS for a decently rounded security setup.

You can go even further by using sandboxing programs, sandboxing a browser or certain programs is a great way to add an extra layer of protection. It may be slightly inconvenient for some uses, but is well worth it.

Another good thing you can do is to avoid Internet Explorer, use Firefox. Some add-ons which can help add some protection would be NoScript (a must have IMO) and AdBlock plus with the Easylist and Easyprivacy subscription filters (not really for blocking malicious stuff, but great for cutting down ads and other web-annoyances).

BTW, for finding the legit website for a AV (so you don't accidentally goto a malicious fake AV site imitating a legit AV) use this website to find the real links to AV vendors: http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Also a great place to find out which AV is best suited for you.
    Last edited by leukotic; 04-25-2011 at 02:22 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost