Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Activision: Modern Warfare 2 Made $550 Million in Five Days

Sponsored Links
    Today Activision is reporting that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 made $550 million in the first five days of the videogame's release.

It appears even in this challenging economic climate, Modern Warfare 2 is indeed a top seller setting a new entertainment industry record.

Press Release: Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® 2 Sets All-Time Entertainment Industry Record Grossing an Estimated $550 Million Worldwide in First Five Days

Biggest Entertainment Launch in History Continues to Break Records

SANTA MONICA, Calif., Nov 18, 2009 - Activision Blizzard, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) announced today that Infinity Ward's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues to shatter theatrical box office and video game sales records for five-day worldwide sell through in dollars.

The biggest entertainment launch in history set a new worldwide estimated five-day sell-through record of approximately $550 million, according to internal Activision estimates.

Modern Warfare 2's launch beat all previous first-and five-day entertainment industry box office, book and video game sell-through records:

- The largest reported five-day opening worldwide box office gross figures, held by Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince ($394 million)
    - The largest reported five-day opening domestic box office gross figures, held by The Dark Knight ($203.8 million)
    - The largest reported five-day worldwide video game sales record, previously held by Grand Theft Auto IV (6 million units, $500 million)
    - The largest reported opening first-day domestic box office gross figures, held by The Dark Knight ($66.4 million)
    - The largest reported first-day book sales in dollars, held by Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows ($220 million)
    - The largest reported first-day worldwide video game sales record, previously held by Grand Theft Auto IV (3.6 million units, $310 million)

Modern Warfare 2's blast radius also extends to Xbox LIVE, in which the blockbuster title's epic release established the following new standards, according to Microsoft:

- More than 5.2 million multiplayer hours were logged playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on the first day alone.
    - More than 2.2 million unique gamers played Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 in one day on November 10th. A new one-day record for Xbox LIVE.

- More than 11 million achievements were unlocked on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on the first day.

"In just five days of sell through Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has become the largest entertainment launch in history and a pop culture phenomenon," said Robert Kotick, CEO, Activision Blizzard, Inc. "The title's success redefines entertainment as millions of consumers have chosen to play Modern Warfare 2 at unprecedented levels rather than engage in other forms of media."

Despite the success of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Activision Blizzard remains cautious about the U.S. and global economy as well as other variables that can affect industry fundamentals and our own performance, including consumer spending which remains a significant concern.

Modern Warfare 2 is rated "M" (Mature) by the ESRB for Blood, Drug Reference, Intense Violence and Language. For additional information about the game, visit [Register or Login to view links].

Activision: Modern Warfare 2 Made $550 Million in Five Days

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    That game is a living legend !! it worth to buy it ! They deserve more ! thats their 6th game. congratulations !!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    550 million dollars in the first five days!? Holy cow!?

If Troika Games had made half of it selling ALL their games they would still be in business and kicking...
    People love all the same junk being shoved down their throats over and over again...

Ps: I love call of duty btw and modern warfare 1 was nice, but it DEFINITELY AIN'T worth all this hype for the sequel...
    Sheesh

omg that is awesome news... well done!

game is definitely worth the buy in my eyes... i paid £50 for it got it the day before it came out loved every min of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Preceptor View Post
    550 million dollars in the first five days!? Holy cow!?

If Troika Games had made half of it selling ALL their games they would still be in business and kicking...
    People love all the same junk being shoved down their throats over and over again...

Ps: I love call of duty btw and modern warfare 1 was nice, but it DEFINITELY AIN'T worth all this hype for the sequel...
    Sheesh
    Yep indeed .. and btw wasn't that guy from activision who said that it was up to him prices would be higher ???

...and not one penny from me! Screw you, Activision. What a group of pompous people.

Say whatever you want guys, I bought COD4 and passed COD 5: WAW because I really thought it was not worth it. But COD: MW2 got my money the first day, its an incredible game that built from the previous MW which is very good.

For those saying its a rehash and what not maybe you should try it a couple of hours, renting it perhaps you may find more value in this one than the first MW. Keep in mind that for 60$ you get an incredible replayability, theres a lot to do, play and have fun unlocking, cant say this about most games out there. Not even great franchises like uncharted are worth the 60$ for its short story and little replay value.

The maps, the new modes, weapons, the polishing it went through is amazing. Also the spec ops bonus is such a nice addition and please dont consider buying this game only for its single player mode because this game is almost a multiplayer game entirely, the story is short and can be played completely in 1 day.
    Last edited by adrianc1982; 11-18-2009 at 03:27 PM

Quote Originally Posted by adrianc1982 View Post
    Say whatever you want guys, I bought COD4 and passed COD 5: WAW because I really thought it was not worth it. But COD: MW2 got my money the first day, its an incredible game that built from the previous MW which is very good.

For those saying its a rehash and what not maybe you should try it a couple of hours, renting it perhaps you may find more value in this one than the first MW. Keep in mind that for 60$ you get an incredible replayability, theres a lot to do, play and have fun unlocking, cant say this about most games out there. Not even great franchises like uncharted are worth the 60$ for its short story and little replay value.

The maps, the new modes, weapons, the polishing it went through is amazing. Also the spec ops bonus is such a nice addition and please dont consider buying this game only for its single player mode because this game is almost a multiplayer game entirely, the story is short and can be played completely in 1 day.
    huh???? Short single player? No replay value? Even if you were talking about uncharted 1 single player it is likely longer than the sp in mw and mw2 combined. Uncharted 2 has a longer sp as well as MP AND Co-op thats fun. It has arguably more value in it that modern warfare 2 does.

I wont be buying this game either. My purchase would be on the PC and they messed up the game there so no go for me

Quote Originally Posted by semitope View Post
    huh???? Short single player? No replay value? Even if you were talking about uncharted 1 single player it is likely longer than the sp in mw and mw2 combined. Uncharted 2 has a longer sp as well as MP AND Co-op thats fun. It has arguably more value in it that modern warfare 2 does.

I wont be buying this game either. My purchase would be on the PC and they messed up the game there so no go for me
    I don't get it, lol.... I mean this game is not all that. But hey, guess people bought into the huge hype. Now all I seem to see is player's talking crap about it. About how it's like the shortest SP game ever (4:50 hr's). The online is a updated version of COD4. There's lag issues, how the PS3 servers crashed at the start, etc,etc. It's all over Craigslist for sale now.

What's really sad here and we know it will be true. With what BFBC2 looks to be brining to the table here in the beta on PS3 and the game in Mar 2010. That looks to be 10 times the game that COD has never been. It really makes COD look like a basic online FPS. But, better in every way won't make it pass the sells figures of the cult following that COD has.

My money is going for BFBC2 as I have my beta code already. It's features and options crush COD and I like everyone played COD4 to death. It just got old being so repetitive.

I agree, not in this lifetime should COD ever be put in the same boat as ND's UnCharted games. Those are way way above the bar in game play, graphic visuals, story line, etc,etc. As for the online, well I'm level 50 and I enjoy it. But that is a preference thing as it is nothing like COD.
    Last edited by ZBlacktt; 11-18-2009 at 06:06 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by semitope View Post

You are reading me too fast, semitope, What I meant is cod:mw2 FOR ME at least has more value than uncharted(which I own too) because multiplayer and all the modes are longer plus a nice single player.

Quote Originally Posted by ZBlacktt
    I agree, not in this lifetime should COD ever be put in the same boat as ND's UnCharted games. Those are way way above the bar in game play, graphic visuals, story line, etc,etc. As for the online, well I'm level 50 and I enjoy it. But that is a preference thing as it is nothing like COD.
    Value wise it can be compared because I was not talking about graphics which uncharted clearly beats every other game, except MGS4, out there.

Another thing is both of you can find value somewhere else where I won't and vice versa, so please don't start a fight over this.
    Last edited by adrianc1982; 11-18-2009 at 06:39 PM

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News