Activision Boss Wants Video Game Consoles Replaced by PCs

Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick has spoken out against dedicated videogame consoles, claiming that his company could be making significantly more money on open platforms like the PC.

To quote: Speaking to the http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b50ee912-8782-11df-9f37-00144feabdc0.html, Kotick claims that 60 percent of Xbox Live users are there "principally because of Call of Duty," and that Activision doesn't see a fair share of the money from it.

Kotick described closed console networks as "walled gardens," and said that his company would "very aggressively" support PC manufacturers such as Dell and HP in any efforts to produce gamer-friendly PCs that plug directly into televisions, creating the opportunity for Activision to open an online network of its own.

Kotick made similar statements to The Wall Street Journal last month, claiming at the time that only 30 percent of the company's profits come from console games.

Activision Boss Wants Video Game Consoles Replaced by PCs

More PlayStation 3 News...

They bashed the PC due to piracy but now they crying because the low share?! WTF?

I only remember one great game that game out and that was MW2 (i don't like it but it sold well) other than that i don't remember one activision game... if they want more profit make better games.

guitar hero? spiderman? tony hawk? spyro?

now with blizzard, so WoW need I continue?
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeKiller View Post
    They bashed the PC due to piracy but now they crying because the low share?! WTF?
    that's because they are finally seeing that there is more money in subscription based systems then product based. People are stupid enough to pay monthly for the same game, that beats the measly $50 they get from just a game.
    Last edited by knight0fdragon; 07-07-2010 at 11:24 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Registered User wilkinsonjohn99's Avatar
    Let Activision stop doing games for consoles, hurt his bottom line (happy share holders I'll bet) more than it'll hurt\bother me...

This just makes me laugh so hard..

There's exactly one thing he wants from the PC: the ability to charge money to play these games monthly, which XBLA will not allow.

Sounds like he is whining to me and just wants a bigger piece of the pie which = greed in my books.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by tilla View Post
    There's exactly one thing he wants from the PC: the ability to charge money to play these games monthly, which XBLA will not allow.
    Ding, ding, ding!! We have a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    Sounds like he is whining to me and just wants a bigger piece of the pie which = greed in my books.
    Greedy people, They want to take over the industry completely, Video Games, first....then The world!!